17: Hellfire

Within a second, I'm enveloped in twisting tongues of crackling fire that responds to my every instinct on command. It doesn't harm Carlos, rather it wraps itself around both of us and flares as a shield.

Carlos watches me with amazement on his face as I sift through all my newfound, wonderful heat. Magic and chaos spark inside me, showing me just how much is possible now that I've let go.

It was never about me gaining control of my fire.

It was about me giving control over to it.

Like a living, breathing, inferno, it races around me, defying gravity and lifting Carlos and I upward to the window where Pitch is watching with a look of pure terror on his face.

"It was a mistake to come after me." I say, scarcely recognizing my voice for how it thunders out of me in a volume louder than most throats can handle. Leaning slightly forward, I zip inside the tower, dropping Carlos on the ground and landing lightly in front of Pitch.

Pitch stumbles backward, his shadows gathering around himself. But I'm already there, taking command of what is already mine, drawing the darkness from him and gathering it around me.

"This isn't possible!" Pitch roars, scrambling away from me. "You're just---"

"News flash---I'm the daughter of Elsa, the Snow Queen, and Hades, the god of Death." I snarl, lighting one hand up with a ball of flames.

Pitch's eyes widen in understanding. "Oh."

"Yeah. Oh." I launch the ball at him, and he ducks. Quickly summoning as much dark sand as he can, he throws all he has. I cross my arms in front of me like Sera does, and a blast of blue fire appears before me, slamming into Pitch and knocking him against the wall.

"Where. Is. Sera." I growl, grabbing his wrist and holding tight. My shadows and my flames seem to shiver with joy, working with me to strip Pitch of all his courage and strengthen mine.

Pitch trembles beneath my aura of crackling light. "I don't know! She escaped!"

My fire does nothing against him, so I assume he's telling the truth. I toss him away, letting him fall to the ground. "You'd better be telling the truth, Pitch." I say. "And one more thing..." I close my eyes, snapping my fingers. When I open them again, Pitch is the one trapped in shadowed chains. "I've just removed the curse on your name. Now people will feel no fear when they think of you." I crack a grin. "Who knows? Maybe people will actually be able to laugh at your name now, Boogey."

"IT IS THE BOOGEYMAN!" Pitch wails, but I'm already turning away from him to face my other companion. Carlos' jaw is dropped, his back against the wall, his eyes wide in awe.

I smile nervously. "Surprise?" I say, waving my hands slightly in the air. 

He launches off the wall, slamming into me. In a sudden and probably not-well-thought-out moment, he kisses me.

You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but every time I always humiliate myself by squeaking. Silly boy, surprising me after every near-death moment. 

The shock wears off faster this time though, and I wrap my arms around his neck, my flames slowly fading away until it's just me left by the time Carlos pulls away, grinning like a madman.

"I love you." he declares.

Again, why do I have to squeak after every time Carlos does something like this?

"I---ummm, I---" I sputter, laughing nervously. 

Pitch gags behind us.

"Can it, Boogey!" I snap, turning back to him. Without even a thought from my part, a gag appears in Pitch's mouth. He lets out a muffled noise of annoyance. 

These powers are awesome.

I face Carlos again, my arms still around him. "So... I didn't freak you out?"

"Not in any way." he promises. "That was amazing."

A thought occurs to me, and I let go of him to pat my head. "Wait---My hair didn't catch on fire, did it?"

"No, but your blue eye did." Carlos says, gesturing. "And so did your knee. Maybe the cut?"

I glance down at my leg. "Hey, I'm not icy anymore!" I examine my soft skin again, glad to have it back. Carlos was right about my knee though, because the cut Gothel made is gone.

Something clicks in my head, and I feel my face. Slowly sliding my fingers over the areas where I know I'm supposed to have jagged scars.

They're gone. 

____________________________

Booooo, villains! You lose---AGAIN. WAHAHA. HA. HA.

On a side note---I've only got five days left of freshman year of high school, guys. FIVE DAYS. That's insane!! I'm going to be a sophomore in a week!!!! Ah!!!!!!

Also---the cover for Shannon Messenger's eighth book, "Legacy"---I already posted something about it on my profile, BUT AHAHHHHH!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! IT'S AMAZING!!!!

AND ANOTHER SHORT STORY FROM SOMEONE'S POV IS GOING TO BE IN THE BOOK. JUST LIKE THE KEEFE MINI AND THE FITZ MINI!!!! 

I hope it's Dex this time. 

OOOOOHH, OR TAM!!!

ok, I'm a nerd. I'm done!