24: The Ending Of Our Tale?

For the first time in forever, I'm completely and entirely alone. Not just in my room, not turned to stone. Alone for miles. Everybody's back at the castle currently, mass-enrolling a bunch of kids into Auradon prep, and surprisingly, vice-versa. Some Auradon kids decided they wanted to try Isle school for a little while. See what the Isla kids learn in their day-to-day lives. Brit's already volunteered with Gil to supervise a few of these forigen exchange classes.

I'm standing by myself on the balcony where not an hour ago Mal cast the spell that brought the barrier down, watching the crowds celebrate far away on the Isle.

Not everything's perfect, that's for sure. Endora is there right now, putting protective spells on Gothel, Pitch, and Ares right now. She combined her powers with Jane's and Fairy Godmother's so that the spell can actually tell when you've turned good, and the spells with stay put until then. They're allowed to come and go all they want, but they have to follow rules and not commit any crimes.

Sera has already made it clear that she doesn't want to talk to her father. Ares didn't argue, so he chose to stay on the Isle for now. Gothel hasn't made an opinion, and Pitch tried to bribe Endora to set him free.

So, our problem's aren't completely fixed. But I wouldn't trade this for the world.

I smile to myself, leaning forward on the railing. ♫Now that it appears to be the ending of my tale...♫ I sing softly, feeling the breeze brush my hair behind my shoulders.

♫I know♫

♫My Happily Ever After isn't ever going to fail♫

♫Because the good and the bad...♫

Is our tale.♫

I watch the courtyard below. Scattered remains of posters and flags, scarves and jewelry. Spilled drinks and the tattered remains of the chinese-Mal-dragon.

Glancing down, I reach into my pocket, pulling out the reason I came here.

Gloves.

Half of a pair, the single one donated to the Museum of Cultural History all those years ago, putting my mother in the Villain section. Blue and long, with simple designs along the hem. Thick cotton that blocks skin contact.

A very similar pair to the ones I wore for the nearly sixteen years I was told to keep my powers under control.

I rub my thumb along the single glove, my mind wandering to who I was before the day Ben decided to bring Mal, Carlos, Evie, and Jay here. I was quiet, nearly friendless, and terrified of myself. I cornered myself into silence, trying to be unnoticeable, and I didn't defend myself the way I should have when Audrey, or Chad, or Ned came after me. I tried to dress just like everyone else, tried to blend in as best I could. If a boy tried to talk to me, I was pretty much guaranteed to splutter something about needing to do homework and running away.

And now?

My hair is dyed brilliant blue in places. I wear it pinned back, fully showing my freakish blue-and-black eyes. I wear what I want to, which is most of the time a leather or a jean jacket with designs all over them, themed T-Shirts and combat boots, or converse. Fingerless gloves, covered with silver studs and rings. A necklace practically screaming that I'm taken if anyone didn't know that already. I have a group of friends bigger than I'd ever imagined, and I'm known to pick a fight if necessary to defend me or my friends.

I don't think I can actually conjure up a downside to who I am because of the VK's.

I gaze down at the glove in my hands again. This is who my mother was. Who I was.

No longer.

My fingers open, releasing the glove. It flutters toward the ground, but I flick my fingers. A spout of icy magic flows from my hands, catching and lifting it up on a breeze. I watch with a satisfied smile as it floats off of Auradon, falling into the ocean.

This is my happily ever after. And I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I straighten up, suddenly remembering the other thing I came here for. Turning, I lock eyes with you.

I smile, considering you with a tilt of my head. "What? You didn't think this was the end of the story, did you?"

THE END

OR IS IT?

Next chapter I post will reveal...

(Hopefully out next Saturday. I'm aiming for then)