Harry Potter vs. Dolores Umbridge (Pt. 2)

I stormed into Dumbledore's office, summons in hand, and slammed it down upon the old man's desk. "I don't care what Umbridge has told you! Pensieve memories can be faked, and everyone knows that Veritaserum doesn't work on sociopaths."

Dumbledore remained calm, a trait which was as unwavering as it was frustrating. "Mr. Potter –"

"I have done nothing, and I will testify to this under Veritaserum."

The phoenix screeched in irritation, and I screeched back to establish dominance. Dumbledore said, "Mr. Potter, this meeting does not concern Professor Umbridge."

"Oh," I said. "That's good because I haven't done anything."

He offered me a lemon drop. "Yes, I know. You were quite vocal about that earlier."

I spoke slowly. "I don't suppose you're planning to teach me Dark Magic?"

His eyes twinkled. "No, I'm afraid not. Although Miss Weasley did enlighten me about your unique definition for the term."

I would have to talk with her about meddling in my affairs without my consent. I made a note of that and then promptly forgot it when Dumbledore said, "Have you noticed anything strange lately?"

I sank into the seat in front of Dumbledore's desk. "Well, the ghosts have been whispering among themselves a lot. Do you think they're rebelling?"

"No, that likely has to do with the Bloody Baron's deathday. I was referring to whether you have experienced something strange lately. Odd visions, voices, urges. Anything of that sort," he prompted.

I considered his question. Every few nights, I dreamt that I was once again Lord Voldemort, ordering and crucioing my Death Eaters. Just this morning, I'd missed the entirety of Professor Flitwick's lecture because I was too caught up in daydreaming that I was a man-eating snake. And I'd nearly taken Ron's head off during a recent meeting of our new study group when I felt a sudden and inexplicable flash of rage.

For quite possibly the first time in my life, I answered Albus Dumbledore honestly. "Nothing out of the ordinary."

He frowned. "Nothing at all?"

I shook my head, jumping a bit when the phoenix landed on the desk in front of me.

"Is that a problem?" I asked.

"No, no, it's very good, actually."

I peered into his eyes. "Really? You seem sort of disappointed about it."

Dumbledore spoke gravely. "I had suspected that your scar might connect you to Voldemort, allowing you some sort of window into his mind. If this had been the case, then his rebirth would have caused certain side effects to both of you. It seems I was wrong. That I was incorrect is almost certainly for the better."

"Huh," I said, yanking my hand away from the phoenix's bite, "I don't suppose I can leave now?"

Dumbledore waved me towards the door. "Go ahead. Though I do hope that Professor Umbridge will have no cause to pay me a visit today…"

"Of course not," I scoffed. "I've done nothing."

The phoenix watched me leave with black, judging eyes.

"Lucius!" I cried, waving my minion over to take a seat in front of my (previously his) desk.

Lucius, startled, said, "My lord."

"Yes, that is who I am," I said, "How are you?"

Lucius raised a trembling hand. "I'm still in pain, and I can't do any paperwork until the nerves heal…"