OMAKES

Seventh Horcrux Omakes! (a fun mix of snippets and my rambles)

First Year: A Dream Come True

I shuffled my feet. "Erm, as long as we're down here, I wanted to ask about my summer living arrangements. I can't go back to the Dursleys. I-I might kill them."

"Surely you're exaggerating," Dumbledore said, eyes twinkling.

"No," I insisted, glancing at Quirrel's smoking corpse. "You misunderstand. I might actually murder them."

He stared at me gravely. "You aren't allowed to use magic over the summers, Harry."

I looked him dead in the eye and pushed some absolutely fascinating images to the front of my mind. "You think I need magic to kill? Muggles kill each other all the time. They've practically made an art form out of it. Besides, I live in the same house as the Dursleys. Eventually, they'll sleep. Oh, they'll sleep…"

"…and that's why I'm staying in the castle this summer," I finished smugly.

Hermione blinked, "Harry, sometimes you really scare me."

I smirked. "Aw, you're just jealous that I get to spend two extra months in the library."

Hermione denied it, but I knew the truth.

Anytime: Cognitive Dissonance

"Hermione, are you trying to imply that I can't believe two things at once? I find that offensive."

Hermione frowned. "Harry, no one can. That's a sign of insanity."

Author's Musings:

Come-uppance

The treatment of Severus Snape in canon is…weird. He spends an inordinate amount of time tormenting children and generally being nasty to everyone he meets. But then he turns out to be on the right side of the war so INSTANT REDEMPTION.

The fan fiction community is split between wanting to punish him for being such a bastard and making him earn that redemption by becoming a somewhat likable person.

In Seventh Horcrux, Severus is actually fairly likeable. He's still a jerk, but he's mainly shown being a jerk to Harry who is equally jerkish back and, depending on your view, may be twice Snape's age. When Harry asserts that Snape is his rival, Hermione doesn't argue with him.

Additionally, Severus gets to spend the rest of his life in his own personal hell, surrounded by people he despises: Harry, Harry's girlfriend, Sirius Black, Dumbledore's portrait, and Volde-Hat. Of course, as Dumbledore constantly asserts, it's possible he secretly likes them…

Author's Musings:

Sirius Business

It just occurred to me that I accidentally parodied myself.

Once upon a time, I planned to make a fic in which everyone's misconceptions about Sirius in Third Year were spot on. He was the spy, tricking everyone, betraying the Potters, and now out for revenge against Harry Potter (making him the perfect candidate for the DADA position, come to think of it). This Sirius, despite being a vicious Death Eater, would have the exact same personality as in canon. After all, being a villain doesn't mean being a drag, right?

In this fic, everyone assumes that silly Sirius Black is an evil Death Eater, and he totally rolls with it while pranking evildoers along the way.

Third Year: The Infamous Sirius Black

Black had stolen my wand. The Great Lord Voldemort had been felled by an Expelliarmus and, soon, he would be vanquished by his own deranged follower. Perhaps the Horcrux would push me into another body, but, right now, the only available options were my only competent minion, a fugitive, and the Weasley.