9: Utter mismatch

9:Utter mismatch

"Khushi!" Lavanya banged the bedroom door, chiding Khushi to open it. "Khushi! Open the door yaar!" Khushi had locked herself in the bedroom the instant she heard the marriage proposal.

Lavanya knew very well that her inner devils must be getting the best of her. She just wished she wasn't crying inside or worse letting those bad memories come in front of her mind.

"Lavanya beta, what happened to Khushi? Why did she run so? Why has she locked herself up? Oh god! I am so sorry beta if she found my proposal indecent ...But  I would really love to see her as my daughter in law. She is no less than a daughter to me already." Anjali expressed her apology utterly confused by the turn of events.

"Aunty, I completely understand your intentions. I am sorry Khushi is behaving so, it isn't about the proposal aunty. It is just that she has her own inner devils to fight. ASR and she would certainly make a perfect match ...and having you as her mother in law would be a blessing for her ...but ...Aunty, it is hard to explain what she is going through. I don't want to be impolite but if you could come back later..."

"I completely understand, beta. Do tell me about her well being and if any help is required, please do contact me." Anjali held lavanya's hands and left the house.

"Khushi, tujhe tere ganesh ji ki kasam, bahar nikal!" Lavanya banged the door coaxing Khushi to come out for the sake of the deity whom she ardently worshipped.

The door creaked as Khushi left it open, her sniffles and muffled cries now very much audible to her best well wisher.

Khushi slumped down to the ground covering her face with her palms. Lavanya groaned at Khushi's tearful state and sat down beside her. One sentence which scantily brushed through her past repeated in front of her and down she was like a house of cards in front of strong autumn winds.

"Khushi ..." Lavanya softly said slumping beside her. She put an arm around her and held her tight.

"You know Lavanya ji, there is a junior college on our way to the office."

Lavanya nodded and looked at Khushi in confusion.

"The timing at which we leave there are hundreds of girls outside that college, it is their dispersal time too. They stand their with their friends, both male and female, gossip, eat street delicacies, frolick around the roads discussing homework, teachers and their plans for weekends and after boards.

I just can't put my finger on what was wrong with my fate? Why my such days ceased to exist for long? I had a handful of friends in junior college  with whom I had planned to go for graduation, take up teaching and what not.

Like me, most of their dreams got shattered, we didn't get to go for graduation. I had received a scholarship, yet my mother in law didn't allow me. Others at least got the opportunity to learn a skill based job, when they went to the city. I didn't even get that financial security.

My family and I would have become worse than beggars if..."

"Khushi, why are you remembering all this now ?"

"I am thinking how could she even think I could have been a prospective bride for a man like her son. I and he are incomparable. He is the most handsome man I have ever seen and I, lets not even talk about how ugly I look!"

"That is not true!"

"It is Lavanya ji! I have accepted it long ago. And no amount of creams could have ever made me look even an inch fairer. I don't know how to look beautiful! And not to forget all those scars on my body."

"I thought they are gone?"

"Little marks to remind me of those scars yet exist!"

"Khushi! Your complexion is one to be proud of! People from faraway lands go to beaches to get themselves a complexion like yours!"

"My life is scarred forever, Lavanya ji. I am not worthy of any one leave alone a kind gentleman like Arnav ji. I respect him a lot and I don't think I can ever have any reason for someone to respect me.

I don't think I am worth even his branded shoes.

He is handsome, intelligent and rich. Every girl in the office dreams of him, I am sure."

"What about you? I know you also have dreamt of him."

"This is wrong Lavanya ji. We are an utter mismatch, however much I love him. The problem is with me! I am not perfect for him." Khushi exclaimed as she headed to the washroom making Lavanya sigh.

*****************

"What the!"

"Chhotte! That is really irritating, stop saying this what the." Anjali chided.

"Ma? What were you even thinking? You directly went to Khushi's house asking for her hand without asking me?"

"Why? You don't like her?"

"No, it isn't like that I do ...but I haven't ever talked to her about that."

"So what is wrong if I talked? Waise bhi , I am tired of looking after you, I need a loving daughter in law as soon as possible and Khushi is the best choice. You already love her is like a cherry on top."

"Ma, this isn't the 20th century or some small town. I can't just randomly go and marry a girl whom I like without actually having a proper conversation with her! Marriage is not a joke! And by the look of her reaction, I don't think she likes me."

"Oh that untruth! I know she likes you! I saw how sparkly her eyes got when I mentioned marriage with you!"

"Whatever ma! It was not right of you to ask for her hand on my behalf without even asking me!"

"Whatever Chhote! It is not correct of you from barring me to find a nice wife of my son's choice for my son!" Anjali got up and went away, making Arnav sigh.

******

Agnisakshi (Under Editing)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें