11: Moments to be cherished.

11: Moments to cherish

"Khushi, what will you eat? I am ordering food." Lavanya said as she entered the living room. Khushi was sitting on the floor cutting some vegetables.

"Arre but I am making Baingan bhaji and chappati ..."

"Ya right, the same old boring things." La rolled her eyes. "Come my twenty year old, let me teach you some life science. I am ordering biryani and pasta. Dump those brinjals into the waste bin, throw them anywhere you want. Just keep it away from my sight."

Khushi looked on with a confused expression.

As soon as Lavanya completed ordering the food, she sat beside our perplexed protagonist.

"What is Pasta?"

"Don't you remember? That fryum like thing which you said looked like pipes and butterflies."

"Oh that? I thought it is called Pusta! I would like to try making it someday with some chillies and some masalas."

"Why with chillies? Why not following the original recipe?"

"Um.. so that it tastes better. At least for me. I found it to be bland and boring otherwise. Cheese isn't enough always. It could have been interesting if..."

"If it would have been according to your taste right...

Similarly Khushi those backward stupid things that your village taught you are way behind time. It is high time you change them according to your taste, making life more interesting and suitable for you."

"My life is not a dish to be changed so easily," Khushi whimpered.

"It might not be a dish but it surely is a recipe which needs improvisation until the consumer- that is you- is fully satisfied." Lavanya explained.

The doorbell rung and Lavanya went to receive the order. She placed the boxes on the dining table and arranged plates.

"So you mean to tell me that I should move on from whatever happened and consider starting a new life with Arnav ji, even after knowing that I would be doing great injustice to him." Khushi came near Lavanya and helped her serve the food.

"Firstly, I for one am not shipping you with ASR."

"Shipping me? You are sending us on a ship?"

"No! I meant to say that I am not self assuming you and ASR as a couple and I am not suggesting that either. It is your choice whether you want to accept his proposal or not. But I am not going to accept you lamenting around my home saying that you are not worthy of even ASR's shoes. That you are wrong for him. I really don't understand why you say this because for me you are no less than a princess. You are worthy of ASR and also of any big film star or even Prince of Wales."Lavanya shook her shoulders.
"Tell me why you think you are not worthy of him. I want point wise reasons." Lavanya strictly said, folding her elbows.

Khushi took a deep breath and sighed. Lavanya could feel how defenceless Khushi felt but she had to break Khushi's trauma somewhere.

"Say fast, my biryani is getting cold."

"Um.. Firstly He is a Uttar Pradeshi Rajput. Basically he must be having a royal or at least a Zamindar Lineage."

"He told you that?"

"No, I know this from his surname. And people of my caste are those who used to work for these high castes not go into relationships with them. I am nowhere worthy of his caste and class." Khushi fidgeted with her dupatta.

"That is a sick reason, Khushi! This is 2010 nobody cares about this all now. As of your caste, it might have applied to your past, it doesn't now. This is your rebirth as my sister. And if you feel caste is so important, so now, as my sister, your lineage becomes same as mine. You also are a Brahmin then and till I remembered Brahmins are considered a high caste, aren't they?"

Khushi nodded.

"Okay then, never tell me this caste thing again. This is ridiculous, who the fuck believes in this all in this age. The caste system isn't valid anymore, it had gone corrupt aeons ago. Any other reason?"

"Umm... I am already married..."

"SHUT UP! You were separated from that son of a ***** the day I found you on the coast. You are no longer obliged to him so cut the crap."

"But how can I marry again?"

"Didn't your father marry your mother after your Moti Aai didn't bear him a son? That also in her presence against the law."

"He was a man, Lavanya ji. He could do whatever he wants."

"Even you are a citizen of India Khushi ji, you also can do anything you want until you are hampering someone's peace.

According to police records, Nakoshi Atmaram Teli later on known as Lakshmi Shyam is dead. Even she is now not bound to be considered married, neither you, Khushi Kashyap, are.

Also for your information, our government allows the separated, divorcees and widows/ widowers to remarry.

So get to the next reason."

"But..."

"I am sorry Khushi, I am being so rude with you but I saw what happened in the office between you and ASR today and I could see all my hard work in making you a confident and rational person going in the drain. So please co-operate with me and buck up."

"I am ...used." Khushi lowered her head.

"What do you mean by that? How did you decide that?"

" I ...I ... I am not a virgin, Lavanya ji. I can't offer an used body to Arn..."

"You mean to say that I am a used tissue, Khushi? Or for that case Naisha, Sim, Pam, Aman...you are calling all of them used? You mean to tell me even ASR is used? Because I swear none of us are virgins or have only had one partner. My past two boyfriends were jerks and ASR's last girlfriend cheated on him.

It doesn't matter. I have no intention of convincing you for marriage, however as much as I remember ASR never mentioned about your body or even sex, for that sake. He just asked you if you like him. "

"But I ..."

"Khushi! My dear! None of your reasons I think are good enough to be able to stop you from doing what you wish. Whether it be marriage with ASR or taking up a degree, it is completely your choice. The only thing is that fearlessly and rationally think about positive aspects of things.

Enjoy all the good things before the time to enjoy them goes farther than the sun. Hmm?" Lavanya said, as she engulfed Khushi into a warm hug.

"Lavanya ji, Biryani and pasta are getting cold. And give me the pasta I will put chilli in it." Khushi giggled.

"No need baby,, I have already got it hot and spicy for you." Lavanya laughed.
"Arre I forgot to tell you, I have enrolled you for a B.A, the form is in my bag. Come we will fill it together."

*****

Agnisakshi (Under Editing)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें