Just... stay out of my way

Jungkook glared at me. I returned it.

"Seeing that toad face just ruined my day," he said through gritted teeth.
"Oh what a coincidence. Same here," I countered. "I really wonder how these girls are falling over that," I spat at him.
"Still the same loud mouth, huh?," he said, poking his tongue inside his cheek in an annoyed manner.
"I don't see any change in you either, dementor!" "Ohhh," Janet reacted.
He raised one eyebrow, still glaring, then scoffed.
"Don't tell me you got friends."
"Why? Jealous?" I smirked.

He got real mad and grabbed my collar. I did the same, which made many people gasp.
"I could take you on right here," he threatened. "You can just try," I sneered.
"Woah, woah, woah! Hold your horses! We don't want any fights here!" Jimin jumped in the middle.
Jungkook gave me another glare then we let go of each other. "You better stay out of my way, or it'll be bloodshed," he threatened again.
"Why are you copying my exact  thoughts, eh?" He scoffed, rolling his eyes and went to a far away desk.

After class ended, Janet, Jimin and Taehyung escorted me. "Um, y/n?"
"Yes, Janet?"
"Who was that and how do you know him?"

I stopped in my tracks.
"Oh sorry if that is unnecessary..."

I looked at her and the other two, confusion written all over their faces. I sighed.
"No, it's fine. I owe an explanation. Well..."

*Flashback*

It was the first day of kindergarten. Little 4 year old me was so excited to go to school and make new friends. I said bye to my parents and was walking towards the class when I heard,
"Eomma I don't want to go!"
I turned back to see a little boy, my age, clinging onto his mother, who, along with his father, was trying to encourage the boy to go in. I felt pity for the boy since he clearly had no one to depend on here. I went over to him.

"Hi, my name is Kim y/n. Would you like to come with me?" I said, holding out my hand.
He softened up a it but was still clinging behind his mother. She smiled at me then looked at her son.
"See, she's asking to be your friend. Come on, say hi." The boy looked at his mother then at me.
"H-hello." He held my hand quite softly.
"Come with me." I tried convincing him. He looked at his mother again, who gave him a reassuring smile. Then he looked at me and let go of his mother's hand.
"Thank you, sweetheart," she said to me.
I smiled at her.

"What's your name?" I asked him, so he'd feel comfortable with me.
"Jeon Jungkook."
"Nice name."
"Thanks."

Then he smiled a little.

Afterwards we became really close friends. I slowly made him less shy and eventually he started to make new friends, but he always stayed close to me. Within a year, we became best friends.

Then year after year, from primary to middle school, we were always together. We were inseparable. I got very friendly with his family. Always visited him for his birthday and vice versa. Why until middle school? Because that's when it all went downhill...

At the start of the last year, I couldn't go to school for two weeks. I had caught a virus during the holidays which took very long to cure.
After two weeks, I went to school hoping to meet Jungkook.
I had missed him so much.

I went inside the class, only to get stares and slight snickers from here and there.
I ignored that and looked around for my buddy. Just then, he came in with his bag.
I was all smiles and I went up to him.
"Hi Jungkook! I -"
"Leave me alone."

What?! He wasn't smiling at me. Nor was he even asking what happened to me.

"Jungkook? Is there anything wrong? You can tell me, you know. I'm your best-"
"Change 'I am' to 'I was'!" he spat at me. I took a few steps back.

What happened to him?

I wanted to know why my best friend was behaving this way towards me.
"Jungkook. Please. If you tell me what's wrong, we'll sort it out, ok?"
"Yeah right! You and your peace talk. Thought you could get me this time? Oh, no! I'm not your puppet!"
"When have I tried to make you my puppet?!"
"Oh yeah? I saw through you!"
And he kept accusing me of things I wouldn't even dream of doing! Then at the end, he shouted,

"Get lost!!"

and stormed out of the class.

I was in shambles. I dropped on one of the chairs and couldn't stop the tears falling. No one came to comfort me because Jungkook was my only close  friend. But my stupid self didn't hate him yet. That was, until he showed me his true colours...

We were at the playground at recess, the boys were playing, most of the girls were chatting, I was reading a book on a wooden bench.
Then, I heard footsteps approaching me. I didn't dare look up.

"Hey, what's the nerd reading?" I could not get myself to speak up to that particular voice.

"Hey! I'm asking you, nerd!" I still gave no reaction, until my book was taken from me.
"Oh, Greek mythology. Lame!"
"Hey, give it back!"
Jungkook smirked.
"Or what?"

Then he got hold of a page.

I was quick to realize what he was gonna do. "Jungkook! Please don't!"
He smirked a satisfied smirk. He knew how I hated damaging books. He slowly dragged his fingers in both ways and-'rrip!' He ripped off half of the page before I lunged at my book. He then pushed me so hard, I fell back with my hand grazing the pointy corner of the bench. I heard a good loud rip and on my lap landed my book with a torn page. I heard the girls chuckling at that. I looked at him, this time, with anger burning in me. He scoffed, and turned away... and I said after him for the first time,

"I hate you, Jeon Jungkook..."

*End of flashback*