Who are you?

*Time skip*

"Please no! I'm scared!"

Taehyung was being pushed out onto the corridor by Jungkook while Jimin, Janet and I were trying to encourage him.

"Oh, please! You're acting like you are being pushed into war!" Jimin said.
"Oh! She's coming, she's coming!" Janet said peeping behind the wall.
With all of his strength, Jungkook pushed Taehyung right infront of Dahyun.

We just eavesdropped on the conversation, which went a bit like;

"H-hey, Dahyun."
"Oh hi, Taehyung. What's up?" "Oh... umm... n-nothing... much... umm... "
"Oh spit it out, you-!" Jimin almost shouted.
Then Taehyung took a deep breath, then, finally,
"Will you be my prom date?"

It was a bit silent, and awkward, for a good 5 seconds, after which we heard,
"I've actually been trying to ask you that myself, hehe."

We saw Taehyung blushing a brilliant red and frozen. Dahyun giggled while pink in the face. "Well, I guess I'll see you then?" She left really shyly while Taehyung watched her leave, still red.

The boys jumped out going,
"OOOOHH! Taehyungie!!!" Janet and I were laughing our heads off.
"Oh, let him breathe! He looks like he's about to pass out!"

We went to the cafeteria to our usual spot near the window. Jungkook didn't come yet. He said that he had something to take care of.
After about 5 minutes or so, Jungkook came back, grinning. He sat down opposing me, beside Jimin. Jimin looked up and down him and asked,
"What's with the big grin?"
He just chuckled.
"What's up with you, though?" Taehyung finally spoke after the ask-out. He was quiet the entire time.
Jungkook looked at each of us, then slowly said,

"I just asked out a girl for the prom."

I almost choked on my drink.
"What?!" Taehyung was shook. He and Jimin exchanged looks. Then they both broke into more grins.
"Woah, Jungkookie!!" Even Janet got into it. "Who's the girl?"
"Who's the lucky gal?" Jimin asked.
Jungkook smirked.
"Oh I'm not telling you." Then everyone started begging him to tell who it was.
"You'll see."

"Umm, Y/n? Are you ok?"
I realized then that I had gone completely silent and frozen.
"Huh? What do you mean? I'm fine.. totally fine... I'm ok," I spluttered. Before I made the scene even more awkward, I left saying that I had some work to do.
(Funny how that excuse is used. Like, that has to be one of the lousiest excuses and yet one can get away with it, majority of the time.)

I felt like a dagger went through me. The more I thought about it, it felt as if there was an anvil in my chest.
Did he really... like someone? Oh, please, Y/n! It's just a prom date... right? And why should I care so much? He's your best friend... just your best friend... your best friend... best friend...

I wish it could be more than that.

I was too lost in my thoughts to notice my eyes getting blurry and streams of tears falling down my face. I wiped them and noticed that I had reached my locker. I thought I should get my books and go inside. I opened my locker... to find a bracelet with a note attached. I looked around to check whether anyone was around, then proceeded to take it in my hands.

I took it in my hand and a realization hit me;
It was my bracelet! That purple coloured friendship bracelet Jungkook had given me on my birthday all those years ago! I thought I'd lost it! I heaved a sigh of relief and then looked at the note. It said,

"Will you be my date?"

Huh? Ok, first of all, who is this person who took my bracelet like that? And he's giving it back to me with an ask-out? Was it for prom?
I flipped the note over. Nothing. No name, just the question.
Great, some Mr Anonymous asked me out for prom by giving me back one of the most precious things in my life that I thought I'd lost forever. Eh, fair enough I guess, but it was a bit weird, honestly.

During the classes I was half pre-occupied in my thoughts and dazed off a lot. "Hey, is everything ok?"
I looked to my side to see Jungkook looking at me with his doe eyes. I smiled and replied,
"I'm fine." He smiled an assured smile and after a while, he looked back at the front.
I kept looking at him.
Why?

Was I gonna go to the prom with an anonymous person?
These questions were running through my head all afternoon.
I was at the Han river thinking while looking at the bracelet. I certainly didn't want to spend the prom at home with nothing to do other than reading. Maybe I would go to the prom, even if I don't know who it was, even of it's just a prank, at least I'll have some fun on my own without being totally bored.

"I just asked out a girl for prom."

Why did I feel so pathetic? Jungkook is just my best friend, why would I think that he would have feelings for me?
I heaved a sigh and thought to myself,
"I hope that girl Jungkook asked out is a good person and that Jungkook's date goes well." I smiled thinking how lucky that girl was. She just got a beautiful man, inside and out, for a prom date. Probably even more than just a prom date.

Anyhow, I made up my mind. I was not gonna spend the prom night miserably, doing nothing at home. I got a prom date with Mr Anonymous. Whether it was a prank or not, doesn't matter. I got my bracelet back... confusing, but interesting all the same.

"Yes, I'll go."