•17•

February 1970       Barbara's P

February 1970 Barbara's P.O.V Chap17

I'd completely forgotten. Completely and utterly forgotten about what Tim had told me, not until I'd visited Roger at Brian's campus in Imperial College for their weekly band practice. Tim had gone completely quiet, sometimes he wouldn't even turn up to the band practice and also wouldn't even have the decency to show up and apologise for not being able to make it. It was pissing both Brian and Roger off, very much, I'd sit in the corner of the room while the both of them would bicker about Tim.

I found myself panicking at the responsibility of knowing why Tim hadn't been showing up and I felt as though it was too late to say anything at all. I worried about what Roger would think, especially after seeing him so frustrated. It had all suddenly dawned on me, how could I be the one to tell the boys that their lead singer was to leave them? I didn't want to be the one to shatter their dreams, Roger's dreams, it would break my heart entirely.

But the horrible feeling of guilt would never leave, just knowing. I had to say something, I couldn't just keep my mouth shut, even after having the extraordinary kiss that I had received. It wasn't enough for me to keep quiet, not when Roger was involved.

What the hell was Tim even thinking?

"Roger I, can I talk to you please?" I ask, interrupting his and Brian's ongoing argument. My heart beat quickened as the room quietened, I caught my breath when Roger turned his head, facing me suddenly, "It's about Tim."

"Has he said anything to you?" He asks, his face was strained and he was visibly trying to keep his voice calm.

I sigh and timidly glance up at Roger, my eyes flickering between both boys who were awaiting my answer, "Y-yes. I er, I forgot to tell you, it was Christmas Eve and I just, it's our favourite day and -,"

Roger interrupts me, "Belle, Belle, what did he tell you?" He tried to calm me down at the use of my nickname and using a gesture of his arms to quieten me down.

"He er, er, he told me about another band that he's thinking o-f, of joining - please don't be angry at me Rog, I swear I meant to tell you, I didn't want to be the one to say, I thought that Tim might've said something by now," I ramble, unable to look both boys in the eye as I fidgeted with my own fingers.

"Christ sakes Belle," he sighs as he brings his hand up to his forehead, "Is that all he said?"

"He said that the band is called Humpy Bong," I add, my voice was almost talking in a whisper, finally having the courage to bring my eyes up to land on Roger who let out a quite sarcastic, breathless chuckle.