IV

IV: Crystal bowls and Pearly Grins.

~*~

The hunger games has always had a weird effect on people, it can make them very frightened almost like a mouse hiding away with their fingers crossed in hope until they turn eighteen. Or, like some of the districts, aggressive like a cat. And if the mouse gets reaped, the cat chases it like a snack.

But even though we are all very different, we are all the same. We are all animals, pawned into a game fighting to win for the entertainment of those omnipotent to us.

As I walked towards the train station, an identical train pulled in for me to head to District Three. A small trace of a smile still hid on my face as i entered the train, how entertaining the day has been. The thought of that girls face, Clove was it? Lingered in my mind for a while. How could a girl have an appearance so fragile, yet be so angry at the world.

Two stylists waited for me in the train, ready to give me a new look for district threes reaping which was the last one of the day. Tomorrow we would fit in around five reapings as we got up inhumanely early in the morning, before the sun rose. On the final day, another five reapings held place and we begun to head home for my reaping which held place at the end of the tribute parade. i had my own chariot at the end of Snows speech, which will be where a lot of gasps happen and then i will reap my partner. it was a perfect time to do it as every one from the capitol would attend that parade.

I went to sleep quite early that night, the most common nightmare occuring again. A womans laughter, my own cry of help and a loud crack of a belt on skin and then darkness. Now it was natural for me to quickly fade back into sleep after that one but usually another, visual nightmare occured but i was woken too early in the morning for it to come.

District three was a little less enthusiastic, the tributes didnt have any volunteers and a few more sad faces were in the crowd this time. Plus the aura was very gray, the outfits and buildings all gray to match the electronics job they had been assigned. That reaping i had a lovely white dress on.

District four, five, six and seven flew past in a blur of white and blue dresses. Volunteers became a hell of a lot less common, and i had no need to be very active throughout the day. i did enjoy reading the name of the female tributes out in different ways each time, introducing them brightly and getting an applause out of each district.

Nightime quickly came and went, the nightmares flushing me of all warmth and i even had to get up for a glass of water that night. i was so tired.

District eight was very forced, my energy completely drained from the relentless nightmares. But after some food and a new style for District nine and ten i felt a hell of a lot better.

District elevens reaping was only a tad bit upsetting, my energy kept up, only it faltered once i had reaped the female tribute. Her name was Rue. I had doubled over my asking for volunteers for her twice, even after i spotted her mothers distraught face. The male tribute seemed distant, like he hadnt known where his steps were taking him. He was largely built and very muscular, i hoped he would form an alliance with young Rue who deserved way more than this horrid game. i gave a soft smile to the two of them as they shook hands and retreated to the justice building.

Now, i was seated in the final train headed toward District Twelve.

"Ah, final stop for you Callista." Effie Trinket grinned wildly at me. i smiled back toward her. For this district i had worn a stunning short white dress, with black roses and vines sewed around the whole dress in a beautiful way. i had matching white heels and a headband.

"District twelves, well, its quite unpleasent." Effie sighs, "But perhaps this year, you could help a little on the way back to the Capitol?"

i smiled softly and shook my head, "Im sorry, i know nothing about the Hunger Games. You're much better for that."

Effie smiles at me understandingly, "Oh thank you dear."

Soon enough, the train had pulled to a halt and peacekeepers gently led us both to the Justice building. A few fix ups here and there and we were ready to reap the tributes of district twelve. As i walked a few paces behind Effie Trinket, two unfamilar peace keepers marching beside me as per usual i sighed and shook off the annoying ringing from Effies voice. I was so unbelievably happy to be headed back soon, the smell of capitol food that was yet to surround me flooding my mind. And, for some strange reason, the thought of annoying the girl from district two who seemed very easily agitated. How odd, for me to think of someone i have only met once. I raised my eyebrows at the thought, but we quickly arrived at the Justice Building before i could overthink. It was only five minutes before we got called onto the stage.

For most of Effies talk i blurred it out, wondering what would come of my life when i got back to the Capitol. What would my personality turn into, who would i pretend to be for Ceaser and the audience at the games?

"Ladies first." Effie nodded to me. I smiled gently at the silent, moody crowd as i pulled a piece of paper out of the crystal ball. The name written on the paper was a lovely one.

"Primrose Everdeen." My voice, although i didnt mean for it to be, sounded a little less enthusiastic than i wanted.

Shuffling from the younger citizens had made a little path, and a young blonde made her way timidly out of the crowd. My heart sunk. Unlike District 11, this girl gave me the impression of a heartfelt child with no ability to kill.

My eye caught a teenager in the crowd a little further back, a brunette with a braid down the back of her head. She had a look of fright and determination on her face. Friend, sister? Either way, the girl shoved her way out of the crowd and begun to shout. She shouted a shortened version of Primrose, Prim, making her way to the child and just as she enveloped her in her arms she shouted once more.

"I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!"

Honestly i was shocked. This years games had quite a few surprises, some still yet to come.

"Come, come." Effie motioned for the girl to come up the stairs. The brunette seemed sad, but her sadness faded when Primrose had left her arms and all emotion seemed to fade.

"Whats your name?" i asked, the girl now quite a few inches taller than me so my arm had to extend a little.

"Katniss Everdeen."

I sent her a small smile, appreciative of what she had just done for her sister. The love of family only ever extended so far, Katniss had shown how much she loved her sister and respected her family. I definitely saw competition in this girl.

After a few more minutes, the male tribute Peeta Mellark had been reaped and the tributes shook hands then retired to the tribute building to ready themselves for the trainride and say farewell to their family.

"May the odds be ever in your favour, all of panem." i whispered as i boarded the train for the final time.

NEW COVER?!! DO YOU LIKE IT? WE ARE GETTING INTO ITTTTTT NEXT CHAPTERRRR IM SIKED