XXII

XXII - winner

~•~

Whirring and harsh winds sounded throughout the Hunger Games arena, a crane dropping to pick up the body of Callista Snow. Killed by Katniss Everdeen.

But this wasnt your usual helicopter, used to pick up the bodies. Infact, it wasnt picking up a body at all.

Callistas eyes opened slightly, her vision blurred and body weak. She stared up at the bright light of the helicopter, her arms and legs draped over the sides of the crane. She was being lifted into a helicopter, alive.

Short, shallow breaths escaped Callista Snow as the crane lifted her inside the warmth of the helicopter. The blurred sounds of people dressed in white, rushing around her seemed merged to the girl who was on the verge of death.

Callista turned her head, smiling slightly at nothing in particular before the world plunged her into darkness again.

•••
first person

"Cal..." a whisper sounded through the darkness.

"Calli..." Louder this time, I attempted to sit up. But to no avail, my body stayed limp.

"Callista."

Then, my eyes snapped open and I let out a loud gasp. My eyes landed instantly on Ash, who held my hand in his with a gentle smile. Wires, beeping, and tubes surrounded me. There was an oxygen mask covering my face, a few tubes in my arms and bandages wrapped around certain parts of my body. I ripped the mask of in a fright, staring at Ash.

"You didnt really think your dad would let you die in there, did you?"

I looked at him. The fear suddenly flushed out of me, and I stared at Ash with a defeated look on my face. I was weak. I died easily to the hands of another tribute, I left someone I cared for in the arena without help, I didnt even make it to the last fight. I turned away from him, frowning. The white wall beside me greeted me with a dangerous feeling, almost like it would close in and reveal my dads face; scolding me and screaming,

"Why was I saved." I whispered shakily, staring down at the tubes in my arm.

"Because you're a Snow." Ash told me, "You're the heir to the role of president, Snow cant let you die."

I looked over at him with a sad look, "Im too weak to be president."

Ash shook his head, his thumb caressing my hand, "You're strong, Callista. You're smart, you just cared too much in that moment for your ally."

I tensed my jaw, "Clove wasnt just an ally." I muttered. Clove was probably dead by now, I couldnt bare the thought. The overbearing pictures thrusted through my mind, and I could just about keep myself from falling into a panic attack.

"I know." Ash smiled, giving a gentle sigh before he stood from the stool he sat on. His hand released mine, and it fell limply to my side as tears began to fill my eyes. I rubbed my arm intensly, the blood of other tributes itched at my skin but there was no blood there.

Ash opened the door and stood outside for a few seconds, mumbling intensly to another person. I gulped harshly, was this me being sent to an embarrassing death. Was I going to be killed in the Capitol town centre, being laughed at and pelted with insults.

But all the fear melted away when a familiar face walked into the room. I choked out a cry of relief, rushing to pull the wires and tubes from my skin.

Clove kentwell, clean but bruised, looked at me with a gentle smile on her face. The bloodthirsty glint in her eyes had disappeared and instead she too let out a few tears. I jumped from my space on the bed, rushing into her arms. My arms wrapped tightly around her neck and hers clasped around my waist. The pair of us sighed into the embrace, hands shaking and trembling as the scenes from the games echoed through our minds.

"You're safe with me." Clove murmured, her hands stroking my back gently. I snuggled my face into her neck, wishing I could stay like this forever. I leaned back from her touch, looking into her eyes with a weak smile,

"Im so happy you're okay."

With that, my hands cupped her cheeks and my lips planted softly on hers. She kissed back gently, passionate yet weak, her grip on my waist pulling me closer.

The games were over, and somehow we ended up with a draw.

A/N: ITS OVER. ITS DONE. OMG WHAT.