XV

XV: Nightmare after Nightmare

~*~

I woke up with a harsh gasp, my nightmares coming to an end as the daylight arrived. Only, i wasnt in the safety of a bed this time. I was in another nightmare, a living one, The Hunger Games.

I had no time to indulge in my traumatic sureoundings, I sat up on my branch, quickly untying the rope and slotting it back into my bag before swinging my legs on either side of the branch. My feet dangled off the edge in a straddle.

I stretched out, cracking the vertebrae in my back. I sighed, relieved, before looking at my surroundings.

It was just before dawn, the perfect time for me to wake up in my opinion. The sunrise had just begun.

I had made it through day one, unharmed and a murderer. I smiled gratefully, thank goodness i was alive. My goal and challenge was to make it through another day without an injury.

I sat on the tree, swinging my feet gently, before I heard a parade of laughs and chuckles. My heart dropped.

I twisted my head quickly, placing my hand on a knife in my vest before I caught eye of another tribute lay on a tree as I had just a few minutes ago.

Katniss Everdeen.

She looked at me, shaking her head slightly toward the ground. I followed her movements to find a parade of careers, not only that but bread boy was with them.

They were marching toward my tree and i was particularly glad they had not noticed me yet.

Katniss looked slightly annoyed and betrayed, probably the fact bread boy was strolling behind them. They seemed to have had a little couple scuffle. I shook my hesd.

"Hey, lover boy! you sure she went this way?" Cato questioned, shoving Peeta's shoulder slightly.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I couldn't be bothered listening to the rest of his sentence, I was too busy wondering why they weren't stuck together. The tributes of twelve, that is. They were in love.

Peeta had blatantly admitted his crush on live television. It was quite funny, listening to Katniss threaten Peeta back stage.

Katniss looked at me, wide eyed and a little frightened.

I don't know what came over me then, I should've just shouted, 'She's there! She's there!' And pointed towards the girl, but instead I mouthed a few words to her.

'Don't move, keep your head from their line of vision. They won't see you' I spoke, taking it slow so she could understand and she nodded gratefully. The both of us were pretty powerful tributes, yet neither of us were allies with the Careers.

I mentally slapped my head, what am I doing.

But anyway, the careers did just that, they walked straight past her without a care in the world. I thought at least two of them would've noticed, but it is still slightly dark.

I leaned my head against the bark, muttering a small ow as the cold bark hit my head.

"Callista?! Hey, there she is!" I heard a deep, manly voice from below the tree.

"I mean, not exactly who we're looking for, but still!" Katniss' eyes met mine again as she frantically looked for a plan to help me. My eyes widened, shit.

I have the upper hand here, literally, I'm in the air.

I swung my leg over the other side, toward them as I saw who the voice belonged to.

Cato was stood beneath me, Glimmer, Marvel and Clove following behind him. Bread boy stayed a fair few metres away, looking around for Katniss im guessing.

Clove looked up at me, a hint of relief in her eyes. Neither of us were hurt or harmed, and for some reason i smiled at her. I was happy she was safe. What are these games doing to me.

I waved at them, "Love the little gang."

Cato smirked, "We were looking for you." everyone else nodded. I couldnt tell why they were, to murder me or to get me as an ally.

"You're pretty damn strong, Snow. Ally with us." Marvel continued.

"Yeah, come on, ill catch you." Cato grinned, stancing and putting his arms out to catch me.

I smirked, shaking my head, "Make the effort, Cato."

I lay back against the trees branches, sighing loudly. I heard them all groaning from below, that's right, they all just lost their most valuable ally.

"Come on, Snow! Im sure Clove would appreciate it." I looked down from my spot on the branch, noticing Cloves annoyed expression. Why would she appreciate it? I crinkled my eyes in confusion.

"She has you, Cato." i winked. Cato rolled his eyes, punching the tree. I felt the branch rattle slightly beneath me. That mustve hurt.

"Come on guys, lets just leave, im sure she'll come around." Clove announced, the careers nodding toward the shorter girl before stalking off once more. I raised my eyebrows in satisfaction, watching as Peeta looked at me. I shrugged, mouthing a 'what?'.

Then, he rushed off after the rest of his new pack. I kept a smirk plastered on my face though, as a couple of the five teens looked back at me with looks of suspicion and confusion, maybe a few angry glares.

Eventually, the group were out of sight. I sighed, relieved I wasn't nearly murdered and began packing everything away in my backpack. I needed to move quickly before they came back, so i jumped from the branch and landed in a squat with my knees bent so i didnt break them. I ignored Katniss entirely as i walked straight past the tree she sat in and swung the back pack over my shoulders.

Just this once, Girl On Fire.