Chapter Two

Cafe Lounge, Lucknow

Arjun entered the caf lounge and looked around trying to spot his friend who normally loved to experiment coffee houses in the city. He found the petite figure seated in the farthest corner of the room with her head in her books. He was amazed at her focus in studies; she was unaffected by the clanging of utensils in the kitchen of the otherwise quite lounge.

She preferred places that had the least number of patrons, something he noticed quite often over the past 21 months or so. And she didn't have any friends in the city other than him. He was the only person whom she was comfortable with, a fact she stated plenty of times since he got to know her. And getting to that phase took quite a lot of time and patience as she was a very private person. Even now she was very guarded when it came to any information regarding her family; and he respected that.

He was transported back to the time when he first met her; in the most unexpected place.

November 2017

He was a professor in one of the most prestigious colleges in Lucknow. On his way to work that day, he noticed a crowd gathered on a pavement where an old man had passed out. A good Samaritan tried flagging each and every vehicle that came his way to get him help; but in vain. Arjun stopped his car and offered to drive him to the hospital. He rushed him to the nearest hospital's ER, thankfully on time to save his life. He retrieved the old man's phone, contacted his relatives and informed them of the situation. With everything settled, he was just about to leave when the doctor informed him that the old man he helped save wished to meet him.

 After a few enquiries he figured the direction towards the room. He gently knocked on the door before entering. To his surprise he found not the old man, but a young lady probably in her mid-twenties lying on the cot, sobbing silently. She didn't seem to notice his presence in the room. Her pale face contorted with pain. She seemed to be in her own personal hell and his heart went out to her. He didn't want to intrude in her private moment and was just about to exit the room silently when the door suddenly opened and a nurse entered the room.

"Sorry to disturb you ma'am, but I have to prepare you for your D&C procedure. The nurse spoke kindly as she reached the bed.

Startled eyes looked up at the nurse and then towards him. She frowned as she gazed at him and he was struck by the aguish her big black orbs held. He just couldn't seem to blink or even move a muscle. He had this strange compulsion to offer her silent support for the time being. Her eyes held on to his for one long moment; drawing the strength it offered.

With unshed tears stuck to her lashes, she nodded her head mutely at the reassuring words the nurse uttered. "I am very sorry for your loss, ma'am, but please do remember it is not your fault. Miscarriages happen for a number of reasons and I would request you not blame yourself for it.  

"Sir, could you please wait outside until we prep her up? the nurse directed the question at him, he realised. He dragged his eyes away from hers and exited the room reluctantly.  

He stood outside and contemplated what to do next when someone tapped on his shoulder. "Mr. Arjun? asked a man. It took Arjun a minute to nod his affirmation, and the next he found himself enveloped in a hug.

"I am Madan, Mr. Ram's son. I couldn't thank you enough for saving my father's life. his voice croaked as he spoke. "Come, he wants to meet you so saying Madan dragged Arjun away to meet his dad. He turned his head backwards to glance at the closed door plagued by thoughts of the woman in agony.

By the time he came back to meet her, she had already been discharged. He mentally kicked himself for not noting her name. He tried getting details from the hospital, but they didn't divulge any information to a stranger.

That was the last he saw of her until they met each other quite unexpectedly again after a month's time. But her haunted eyes kept him company and disturbed his thoughts throughout that period.

A patron exiting the lounge suddenly bumped into him dragging him out of his thoughts. He looked at Radhika, proud of her will power to sail through her loss and move on with life with the strong faith that good things will come her way someday.

He strolled towards her table and tapped on it saying, "Knock, knock, who is there.

He saw her shocked expression and before he could utter anything further, she dropped her stuff on the table and launched herself into his arms squealing, "Arjun, I missed you so much!!

He laughed heartily tightening his hold around her and reciprocated with, "I missed you too, my darling gal!

Mumbai

With his clothes and necessities packed into the cabin baggage, Dev started rummaging through his cupboard searching for something frantically. He heaved a huge sigh of relief when he found it nestled in a corner. He picked up the black stone with Dev+Chandu carved on it. She left it behind along with all the jewellery he reluctantly presented her with during their brief period of matrimony. Beside that lay their divorce agreement, signed by her, denying in words the alimony offered; the botched portion of her signature, a proof that she cried doing it. Her mangalsutra and engagement ring lay on top of it.

He was consumed by guilt at the thought that he had scarred her for life for no fault of hers. And he wasn't sure if this lifetime would be sufficient to repent for his sins.

TBC