Chapter Ten

Chandini's eyes closed for a few brief seconds trying to absorb what her husband had just announced. She opened them again to find questioning looks from her family and others around. Then gradually brought her focus back on her husband who sported a devious smirk satisfied with the result his words garnered.

There were hushed conversations and murmurs around just when a few moments ago there were cheers for the event.

He leaned towards her trembling form to whisper, "How was the first surprise, my dear?"  

Chandini clenched her fists in response, no longer wondering what was in store for her this evening. She knew what it was but prayed and pleaded silently to god that Advay wasn't planning what her mind was thinking.

"You all seem to be surprised and I wouldn't blame you! So was I when I figured out last night that my wife wasn't what she portrayed herself to be." He sneered, straightening and looking purposefully at her.

She shuddered inwardly as his assumptions were thrown out in the open for the public to decipher and stamp them as truth. She was rooted to the spot, unable to utter a single word as her husband continued to bombard his taunts.

"I was shell shocked when I figured that my wife was not the naive, innocent victim of a kidnapping incident as I believed her to be; but was the mastermind behind the whole plot, a staged kidnapping to divert the rumour of her affair. Did you know that, saasumaa?" Advay asked mockingly.

Chandini failed to notice her mama's anger as her focus was on her maa's stoic face and the shocked expressions of other family members. Her baba seemed oblivious to everything happening around him.

Shikha made a move to defend her, but Chandini shook her head, her eyes requesting her to take baba outside the hall.

"Cheeku, what is happening? interrupted nani worriedly.

"The truth is being brought out in the open, nani!" Advay stated.

His nani fell silent trying to grasp the happenings, just like the others were, noticed Chandini.

She hunched, preparing to take blow after blow that a furious Advay was planning to throw her way, having no choice in the matter; cementing the fact that though she couldn't understand the reason behind his actions, she knew for certain that he hated her to hell and back.

"I have another big surprise in line for you, Chandini.", he announced, disgust lacing his tone.

She noticed him motioning a reluctant Murli to bring whatever was in store for her.

Her mind instinctively knew the next big bombshell and her eyes rounded in concern.

She met his gaze, silently questioning why he was breaking his promise to her. He brought his face close to hers and uttered in no uncertain terms the answer to her unspoken question, "You have taught that promises were meant to be broken, Chandini. I'm only applying the lesson learnt just as a good pupil would do."

Her puzzled frown vanished the moment she saw the pram that Murli pushed towards them. Her mind silently screamed, no, no not this innocent one...! Please spare him, God! Please!

Her plea went unheard as Advay stepped forward and picked the small bundle and placed it in her arms, "Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the child of my 'one day bride', Dhruv Vasisht!", he declared.