Chapter Seven

"What? He did what?" Arjun roared in anger.

Chandini felt drained, but she went on. If she didn't get everything off her chest today, she never would.

She didn't realise just how much she needed someone to unburden her problems on. And now that she found the precious someone in Arjun, she was not willing to stop; even though she knew she could always share it whenever she felt like it.

"After our marriage, I stepped into his home. I didn't realise he owned a house in Allahabad in the first place and was surprised to see an old lady getting Shilpa ready to do my gruhapravesh."

...

"Welcome to your new home, Chandini! I am so glad to have you here. I am Cheeku's Nani." Nani exclaimed happily, trying to feel Chandini's face and holding her cheek lovingly. That's when Chandini realised she was blind.

Chandini bent to take her blessings. She pulled her up and gave her a tight hug, whispering, "We hug in this house to show acceptance and love." Chandini's eyes brimmed with tears.

Never had her maa hugged her so whole-heartedly and expressed affection through such endearing actions voluntarily.

Chandini also went back to the many moments Advay hugged her forcibly, but there was no acceptance or love there, she frowned wondering why she was paying attention to such details at all. She looked sideways and caught her husband's furious gaze on her; as if his mind was calculating something already. She shivered inwardly.

"Thank you, Nani!", she sniffled, reciprocating her embrace.

"I know that the marriage didn't happen in the best of circumstances. But I assure you that you will be treated well in this house. Right, Cheeku?" Nani asked, her tone carrying an undercurrent of warning that didn't go unnoticed.

"I have some office work to take care of, Nani. Excuse me.", so saying he left evading making a promise of any kind.

"Angry young man all the time!", nani muttered and turned towards a puzzled Chandini. "Shilpa will take you to your room. Don't hesitate to come to me for anything. I'm always there for you." She promised.

Shilpa took her hand and led her to Advay's room. Her breath caught in her throat when she noticed the room decorated with red roses and candles all around.

Once Shilpa left she stood in the middle of the room, trying to familiarise herself with her surroundings.

She was unaware of the time passing by when the door suddenly opened and in came Advay with a sadistic smirk gracing his lips. Anxiety gripped her and unable to move she observed him lock the door; the action suddenly transported her to another moment in a dark dungeon, of an intimidating figure doing the same.

The way her husband approached her menacingly made her want to cower. She cringed when he bent his head to whisper something in her ear. "Welcome to hell, Chandini! You are going to get a good dose of what you gave."

She was startled unable to decipher his cryptic words; and also struggling to stop drifting to the horrific incident which made her feel nauseous.

 His breath on her neck brought back the agonising memories of her tormentor's sickening smell on her skin, whispering dark threats. And the startling familiarity of events made her issue a warning, "Don't touch me!" It felt like she was reliving those moments and warning her tormentor off.

She noticed the pained expression on Advay's face but that vanished as soon as it flashed. "I am not PP, Chandini. Or do you want me to be like PP?", he sneered, his face close to hers.

She closed her eyes, turned her face sideways. She couldn't speak, fear making her immobile; palms fisting, she wondered whether she was in the past or present, confused for a moment. She hated feeling this way and Advay didn't seem to understand or notice that she was already in her own personal hell, as he continued his intimidation, "You move a muscle and I will touch you all over, all night!"

She held her breath waiting for him to move away. And she gradually opened her eyes, eyes welling with tears. She stood motionless, terror gripping her, shuddering as she crossed her hands and clutched her arms tightly; and she stood that way through the night, trying to ward of the dreadful demons of the past and keeping herself awake.

A soft knock on the door and nani's voice woke her husband, she noticed vaguely. He rushed to the door and fumbled to unlock it, his confused eyes taking notice of her, chandini observed.

She tried to keep herself upright, a challenging task given her emotional rollercoaster the previous night. And standing for hours together numbed her feet making it impossible to move.

It didn't help matters that Nani tried coming closer to her. "Chandini! Good morning, beta! Hope you slept well!" She expressed and touched her hair.

She couldn't utter a word, fatigue making her dizzy. Advay immediately came beside her and put his arm around her shoulder and gripped it to support her weight. She flinched at his touch, but didn't move away. The last thing the poor lady needed to know was what transpired between her grandson and her the night before.

"Yes, nani!", Advay spoke for her.

"Advay has arranged for a reception tonight, beta. And he even took the liberty to purchase your saree and jewellery for the same!" She announced gleefully.

Advay stood expressionless like a robot. Chandini swayed a bit in shock, looking at him. "Ahem ahem.." Nani cleared her throat when she didn't get a response.

"Breakfast is ready, Chandini. Feel free to eat anytime you wish. I have to do jaap, Pooja and Aarthi. Just couldn't control my bubbling enthusiasm and had to share the news with you. Hope I didn't spoil your surprise, Cheeku!" She winked at him, knowing that she deliberately did it anyway.

 "I am just a bit tired, nani. Can I rest for a while and then join you for pooja? Kindly excuse me just for today." Chandini enquired distractedly, too disoriented to focus on anything.

"Don't miss your breakfast, though, beta! You take as much rest as you can today; you have a long evening awaiting you."

She leaned forward to place a gentle kiss on her forehead and turned to leave the room; and that was the last thing that Chandini remembered before her eyes drifted shut as darkness enveloped her.

Little did Chandini or Nani know that Advay had indeed planned a long evening with no dearth of shocking and torturous surprises in store for his newly-wed wife, which would leave her lifeless at the end of it.

TBC