Chapter Eight

She clutched her knees to her chest shrinking as far away as possible from him; the spear in his hand frightening her to an extent where it was getting difficult to breathe.

She frantically looked around to find some object to defend herself with; only to find lots of unused boxes, water drums and other useless items which seemed to have accumulated dust over a long period of time.

The thumping of the spear brought her attention back to him, the casual way he sat with a mask covering his face while she was a nervous frightened mess. She looked down to notice her pant torn along her bleeding thigh, her hair untidy and one of her slippers broken beyond repair.

She tried to take in her surroundings once again, when she heard muffled footsteps coming her way.

"No, don't...don't you dare come near me!" She whispered in protest, her breathing erratic as the sound came closer to her.

"Don't touch me!" She pleaded as he bent further down to reach her eye level. Her nostrils filled with the nauseating smell of his strong perfume which made her want to throw up.

She recoiled further into the corner seeing him raise his hand toward her face. She cried out, "No, please don't touch me!"

Her shriek seemed to have been trapped in her throat, not finding a way out as her head thrashed from side to side; her face, hair and clothes drenched in sweat.

She clutched at the sheets with her hands, her knuckles turning white. She was trying to free her legs from the tangled blanket around her ankles, as if trying to break the shackles her tormentor tied her with.

She was getting restless, trying to escape the tormentor in her nightmare. Her whole body convulsed, gasping for much needed air and she woke up with a start, sitting as straight as a ramrod.

She looked around disoriented and confused for a few moments; she breathed in and let out a huge sigh of relief when the reality sunk in.

Her hand went to her throat as she tried to calm herself; convincing herself that all was well and she was alive.

Her fingers traced the scars on her shoulders and the blemish on her nape, a constant reminder of her escape from death.  

She reached for a tissue and wiped her face and neck and grabbed the water kept on the night stand and gulped it down in a go.

Then she closed her eyes and said a silent prayer, thanking god for saving her from the hellhole. She opened her eyes and picked her phone almost out of habit to speak to her maa; her soothing voice calmed her agitated mind.

Her fingers paused dialling the number, as she recollected how disappointed and upset her maa was that she chose to marry Advay instead of PP. But she banked on the thought that she was her maa and couldn't be angry with her for too long and rang her anyway, waiting for her to answer the phone.

"Hello, maa? How are you?" Chandini asked as her eyes teared up. There was no response.  Indrani was still furious with the turnaround of events the previous day.

"Maa, please talk to me! Scold me if you like or hit me, but please don't stop talking to me. I just cannot take it. Please, maa?" She pleaded desperately.

There was still no response on the other end. She was about to speak again when a large hand engulfed hers and grabbed the device from her.

She was too startled by his sudden presence and fell silent, unable to bring herself to speak, wondering how and when he entered the room without any noise.

"Hello, my dear Saasumaa! Hope you are keeping well!" Advay taunted, and proceeded further when there was no reply. "I was about to call to extend an invitation to my marriage reception which is to happen tonight. My wife and I share great telepathy, don't we? She just can read my mind." He smirked, looking at her.

She turned her head away as he continued, "So please do attend the fabulous one-of-its-kind party that Allahabad would have never seen in its lifetime. And do bring everyone with you. It would be our immense pleasure to have you over. The party would be incomplete without you all." His false voice boomed around the room.

"Chandini is very busy with her wifely duties now, what with it being a busy day and all. I assure you that she will have all the time in the world to talk to you from tonight. See you!" He assured her with confidence and disconnected the call.

Something about the way he said the last line made goose bumps erupt on her skin.

"So chandini, now that you got your beauty sleep, do check out your saree and jewellery for THE main event of your life." He said, sarcasm dripping in each and every word. "I will send shilpa with the items. Do dress up properly; the whole of Allahabad will be there to witness this event, so I would like you to look the part."

He turned to leave the room, when he paused at the door and said, "I have quite a number of unexpected surprises lined up for my newly-wed wife tonight. I am quite sure you will be completely satisfied with them."

Chandini hardly paid any attention to his subsequent exit, her mind and body already gripped in panic wondering what catastrophe was to come her way tonight.

TBC