Chapter Three

Lucknow

Chandini managed to get her excitement under control, at seeing her good friend return. Boy, was she glad to see him back sooner than anticipated. She extracted herself from his embrace and looked up, "When did you get back from Mumbai? How was your trip? Was the seminar interesting? And how did you find me here? Why are y...

"Woah, slow down my super charged energiser bunny!! Arjun teased interrupting. "I got back a couple of hours ago and the trip was great. And this is the only caf with privacy that you haven't tried till date, that's how I found you; mere luck. Does that cover all the questions? his reply was laced with amusement.

Her hearty laughter was music to his ears, because she hardly ever did that. And he wouldn't miss any opportunity to erase the frown her face almost always seemed to sport.

Her eyes twinkled when she teased in return, "You missed out answering one important question there, Professor. Not good for a person teaching history, if he cannot retain information for mere seconds.

His smile widened, "oh, that! Forgive my ageing brain! he laughed as he responded. "The seminar was very informative and a wonderful experience. I wish you had not rejected the opportunity to attend it. It would have helped you a lot with your thesis.

And suddenly the atmosphere changed from playful, teasing banter to tense silence. She started playing with the edge of her salwar top, nervously looking everywhere but at him. He hated that he was the cause of her uneasiness. They shared a good level of comfort; one that he managed to earn over almost two years of association with her; First, as a fellow professor and then as a dear friend. And he didn't want to spoil it at any cost, not now at this juncture.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. He apologised knowing very well he put her in an uncomfortable position. Something he had never done before.

Before he could proceed any further, she murmured something that shocked him to say the least.

"I can't travel to that city for reasons best known to me. I dread going back there and having the past thrown back at my face.

Chandini shocked herself by revealing what she just did to Arjun. When she looked up, his face mirrored her expression.

She always remained wary of sharing details of her past with him. She didn't want to burden him with her sorry sob story and thinking about it let alone talking, hurt deeply even now, after two years. Furthermore, she felt she didn't deserve any kind of empathy, concern or understanding from him or anyone where her past actions were concerned; because they caused irreparable damage, loss, destruction and devastation to one particular family.

The guilt ate away at her slowly even though she tried to move on and make a positive difference. Who was she kidding? She knew that her good deeds weren't going to lessen her sins by any margin. But she had to try and she persuaded herself to believe that she had only herself to rely on and that she was destined to be a loner forever; a loner who was not worthy of any compassion from anyone.

That was a few moments ago; until the slip of a tongue revealed more than she wished to share. She was tempted now, tempted to unburden the guilt, loneliness, anguish, fear, insecurity, sorrow, hurt, unrequited love and every other thing she had been shouldering for years on end to Arjun.

But will he lend his ear which she desperately wanted or will he judge her and push her away was something her subconscious mind started nagging. But it was too late, now that she uttered something; she knew he wouldn't leave it alone since she volunteered the information. She knew that it was time; time to reveal everything about herself and to hell with the consequences.

She started wringing her hands wondering where to start when a pair of warm hands stopped her actions. She looked up startled and found his concerned gaze trained on her. Taking a deep breath, she grabbed his hand leading him to the table saying, "This is going to take a lot of time. Please bear with me.

"I have all the time in the world for you, Radhika. He replied earnestly.

"Chandini; my maiden name is Chandini Yash Narayan Vasisht. She corrected him.

"Maiden name? he probed gently.

"Yes, until I got married and became Chandini Advay Singh Raizada, she replied, flinching a little as she did so.

Mumbai

"You!! How the hell did you manage to manipulate my nani?!! Advay roared in anger as he charged towards a nervous Chandini. He was disgusted with her. How low will she stoop? Wasn't his rejection at their wedding reception in Allahabad enough? Wasn't her being branded a characterless woman by him enough? Why did she choose to be back in his life again after all the humiliation he put her through? He just wanted to move on and here she was torturing him again with her presence.

"I didn't manipulate or persuade her. In fact, it was the other way round. She convinced me to come to Mumbai with her, she replied calmly, although she was a bundle of nerves inside, which he was unaware of.

"Another lie out of that pretty little mouth of yours, chandini! God, how do you live with yourself?!! He growled.

"I never lie! I don't have a reason to! You were the one who wanted to marry me, come hell or high water! And now you behave as if I am chasing after you.. she retorted, her anger getting the better of her.

"Oh really?!! How about lying to your family and your favourite maa about your affair, your baby, the kidnapping etcetera etcetera? he enquired sarcastically, her false declaration irking him.

She flinched at the barb but remained silent, giving him the wrong impression. He marched on "what happened? Cat got your tongue? You have always been and will always be a liar. He declared cruelly.

She took a deep breath before speaking, "Listen, I have no desire to be your so-called wife. Not after the humiliation you put me through. I am here because I don't want my sisters to suffer the consequences of your actions. So, until their marriages are fixed, I am not going anywhere. So, learn to live with it.

"Oh yeah??! Let us see. I will not throw you out but will make you leave the house on your own. And it is a challenge! he responded furiously.

The chirping of his phone brought Dev out of his musings. He hated anyone or anything that interrupted his recollection of the bittersweet moments spent with his wife, his Chandu.

He looked down at the black stone he clutched tightly in his palm. He then quickly glanced at the clock which indicated that it had been just half an hour since he packed his baggage and he had the entire night and better part of morning to kill before he caught his flight to Lucknow.

Exhausted by the emotional day, he deliberately ignored checking his messages. Thereby putting off seeing the photograph of his wife in another man's embrace, posted by a good Samaritan.

TBC