Chapter 8

Was I too straight forward?

Not gonna lie, I felt pretty bad about the last encounter I had with Awsten. I mean everything was going good until I started flirting. 

"So", Jawn creeps up behind me at my locker, "how was your first date?"

"You know for someone who thinks they're going to win really wants to know how I'm doing with the guy.", I say turning around facing him. 

"It's called wanting updates. You ever heard of them?", he laughed. 

"Well if you must know, it went pretty good until I think I freaked him out a bit. We ate ice cream, but then I think I got too forward and well he kinda freaked out."

"Wigington, I think that's your sign to back out of this.", Jawn says patting my back and about to leave. 

"Back out of this?", I say following Jawn closely behind. "What do you mean back out of this. I am not letting you win. I know for a fact he will ease up to me and when he does -", Jawn cut me off. 

"He will get hurt. I'm telling you this was fun and games, but I'm not letting you hurt this poor guy. I admit it was my idea and it was a bad idea, but don't you feel bad about this? I mean you already freaked him out. Just let the guy live. Let's just call it off. Let's just pretend it never happened.", Jawn says going down the stairs of the main entrance. 

I turned my head to the familiar tree near the parking lot and saw Awsten there standing with his binder clentched to his chest. 

I decided following Jawn instead to the other parking lot. 

"Jawn, you can't just do that. We made a deal and I never lose deals. You just want me to look bad putting this on me. It was your idea.", I say standing in front of his car while Jawn was getting in the drivers seat. 

"I already told you it was my idea. I admitted it, but honestly this has to end now Geoff. You're going to hurt him and badly too. Just stop.", he said putting he keys in the engine. 

"You can't just put this on me.", I say not moving from the front of the car. 

"Until you realize what you're doing to this poor kid, don't call me. I already admitted what I did was wrong. Now it's your turn.", Jawn reversed the car out of the parking spot and left me standing there frustrated. 

This is not my fault. I'm doing this guy a favor and I'm not backing out. 

I made my way back to the steps of the school, but then decided on something different. 

More like someone different. 

"Hey Awsten.", I say walking up to the blue haired boy. He didn't look at me, of course. "Listen, I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I'm sorry for freaking you out and if you wanted to hang out again I would like that."

Blah blah blah. Just say what he wants to hear. 

Awsten looked at me. 

"If you want.", he say silently, but I object. "No, if you want."

He nods and I tell him to meet me at the bleachers tomorrow after school. 

I leave him alone and make my way to my car seeing a familiar person there. 

Hayley. 

"Hey Hayley. Listen, now is really not the time.", I say trying to get her to move front the driver's car door. 

"Oh really, I couldn't tell", she says sarcastically. "Anyways, what's up with you and Awsten?"

"Nothing.", I say about to grab the handle from behind her until she puts her weight on the door not letting my hand fit through. I groan. "Hayley, honestly stop. I want to go home."

"I saw you with Jawn. What were you talking about?"

"Nothing now let me leave.", I say annoyed. 

"I'll let you leave when you tell me why you and Jawn were arguing and then you instantly went to Awsten."

"Ugh fine. Jawn was mad at me because I'm going through a bet that he made up and is now blaming it on me saying I'm going to hurt Awsten."

"Awsten? What does he have to do with this?"

"The bet was that by the end of this month, I could get Awsten to sleep with me which is why you saw me talking to him. I'm not backing out of this bet. Why should I? It's not like Awsten is going to get feelings or anything. It's just a game."

"So, you're telling me the only reason you're talking to him is because of this bet?", she asked. I nodded. "Okay, well that's good enough for me. I'll see you later Geoff.", she said and was quick to disappear off to who knows where. 

I sighed. I hate this day so much.