7

Jenna felt her heart sink into her stomach with Dougal's words. She knew what was coming next, and she didn't relish the thought of talking about the whole thing. Lifting her head, she looked Dougal in the eye and replied, "Yes sir."

"Angus, if you and Daniel will excuse us, we are going to lock ourselves in Eric's office. Angus will you make us some coffee and bring it to us? Please knock on the door. Now, young lady, let's you, myself, Eric and Elizabeth go to the office and have that talk." Dougal nodded to the others and left the room. 

Daniel watched as the other three left to follow the ASW head of security. Turning to the Scotsman, he said, "What do you think they want to talk about?"

"Probably the attack and the person who did it. Elizabeth is in there because she is Jenna's doctor. Eric because well, he's Eric and he pretty much takes care of Jenna." Raising his glass of scotch, he took a deep swallow.

"I made Eric a promise to not chase after Jenna." Daniel confessed quietly.

"Aye, and having seen her, I bet you're kicking yourself." Was the sardonic reply.

"Some. But, I also agreed that if Jenna were to ask me out then, it was all bets off." 

"You sound almost hopeful. A man like you would break a woman like Jenna. She's too soft, too gentle. Even after whatever happened to her this last time, or when she was away at college." Angus' words had a bite to them. His anger was evident.

"What! She could be the one." Angus snorted at Daniel's answer.

"Please. You change women like most men change socks and underwear. I honestly don't think that I have ever seen you with the same woman for more then one month." Taking another drink of his scotch, he turned and walked into the house.

Inside Eric's office, the tension was thick. You could almost taste Jenna's fear and anxiety. She was sitting in a large over-stuffed chair with her legs drawn up and her arms wrapped around them. Anyone looking at her would instantly recognize her posture as self-protective.

"Jenna, I'm sorry to do this to you. But, you had to know that this would come back to bite you on the ass. When you were hired you should have come to me and told me that you had a history of  being stalked. You should have told me that you were sexually assaulted and beaten when you were in your senior year of college. You also should have told me that he was out and that he would most likely come after you." Dougal sat behind Eric's desk and looked at the girl he thought of as a daughter.

Eric, on the other hand, could feel his body vibrating with barely suppressed rage. He knew that something had happened, but not this! He had suspected a jealous boyfriend or even, as much as it pained him, a spurned lover. Not rape! Not a stalker! Not a beating similar to the one she was recovery from. He had never felt so ineffective before in his life. Knowing that he had promised her brother to protect and look out for her, he had no been there for her. His disgust with himself was monumental.

"We met at the campus coffee shop. He was everything I thought I wanted. He was polite, sweet, and considerate. He would help carry the always massive stack of books. He would feed me on long days when it seemed that all I did was attend classes and study. I thought he was the perfect man. He didn't tip his hand to his true character for several months. Little did I know that he had watched me and studied my habits for almost a year before approaching me. He knew when I had class and what class it was. He knew the days I did laundry and when I did it. He knew my favorite restaurants and what I liked to eat at them. He even knew what church on campus that I favored." Jenna stopped, drawing a shaky breath before continuing with her story. "He didn't start showing his true colors for about four months. I was about halfway through my senior year. There was a birthday party for one of my  dorm mates.He told me that I couldn't go. I laughed and told him he wasn't my father and that I could go if I wanted to. Before I could react, he hit me. It was just an open handed slap, but it still hurt. He was instantly sorry and apologizing. I was so shocked that I didn't know how to react. So I let it slide. He left and I went to the party. When I came back to my dorm he was there. Waiting in the dark for me. How he got in, I'll never know. Before I could turn on the lights he was on me. He beat me pretty bad. Not like this last time, but bad enough. He blacked an eye and busted my bottom lip. I had defensive wounds on my arms and I had bruises on my back where I had curled up on myself. Someone heard me screaming and called campus security. They broke down my door when they heard me screaming. I woke up in the hospital. That was the first time. I have moved four times since graduating.  Each time he finds me." Tears soaked Jenna's face. 

The men sat still. Eric, held that way by shock and anger. Dougal steepled his fingers and rested his chin on them. "Delilah. That's the name he was screaming the night of the attack. Why did he call you that. Jenna?"

"He said that should be my name because she was the ultimate betrayer, just like me. He said I betrayed him by going t the party and talking to other men. Men who wanted what only he was entitled to......" Jenna's voice faded away as more tears fell.

Raising her face, she dared to look and Eric. The look of disgust there on his face tore at her. Not being able to stand his contempt for her, she stood and ran out the door. Without having a direction in mind, she took off through the house and ending up on the beach. She had been there for maybe ten minutes when a handkerchief was handed to her.

"A woman as lovely as you should never have tears in her eyes. Unless, of course, they were tears of happiness." Daniel said quietly. She looked broken. Like she had just lost her best friend.

"Just once, just once! I would like to be able to let a man hold me and not worry about what that insane bastard will do. I have gone for over four years without a relationship. I miss being held. I miss having a conversation and laughing. Walking and holding hands. Simple things that couples get to do. Things that they take for granted." Jenna bowed her head again as the tears began to flow . She saw a hand in her peripheral vision. Looking up in surprise, she took the offered hand.

"I know we aren't a couple, but it's a damn shame that a young lady as beautiful as you doesn't know how the things you talked about feel. And you're right. A lot of couples do take those little things for granted. Myself included. Now, I'm interested in you as a male, but I made a promise not to pursue you. But, I can sure be a friend." Daniel said as he helped Jenna to her feet and they began to walk down the beach. "And you look like you could use one."

Eric, Elizabeth and Dougal all stood on the deck watching the couple walk hand in hand down the beach.

"You pretty much have no one to blame but yourself.  You should have been the one holding her hand and comforting her. She took one look at your face and all she saw was your rage. I know and Dougal know that your rage was not directed at her, but she's so fragile and insecure right now that the thought never entered her mind. All she wanted was someone to hold her and tell her that it's going to be okay. And now she's walking hand in hand with the one man that might actually give you some competition for her affections." Elizabeth told him as Dougal patted him on the back and handed him a cold beer. 

After Elizabeth had turned in for the night with Angus and Dougal was in Eric's office going over some new information, Eric sat on the deck watching the couple talk and saw the woman he loved laugh at something his friend said. He watched them turn and head this way. When they were level with the deck, Jenna ducked her head so she wouldn't have to look at him when she went by. 

"Goodnight, Jenna." Jenna raised her head and gave Daniel the softest, sweetest smile. It took his breath away. Looking over at Eric and seeing his scowl, she turned and ran up to her room.