Chapter 17

~Trigger Warning: Attempted Suicide

Veronica's POV

"Greetings and salutations. Ms. Sawyer." JD said as I entered his house.

I snorted. "Stop calling me that. It sounds stupid."

He shrugged. "OK fine, what do you want to do?"

We spent the next hour lounging on the couch and playing Smash Bros. Ultimate on JD's Nintendo Switch. When I asked him where he had gotten it, he said that he stole money from his dad's account to buy it. Not that Big Bud Dean had noticed. He was too busy with his deconstruction business to care anyways.

"Hey, dad, I just wanted to tell you that my girlfriend was coming over." Me and JD tensed. Bud Dean was home early.

"I'm sorry Mr. Dean, I'll just be going now-"

"Aww, cmon, why don't you stay for dinner?" Bud said.

JD stood up. "Son, I think it's best if she went home already."

Bud Dean turned around and left. Without any warning at all, JD shot the TV. I jumped and shrieked.

"What did I say about firearms in the house!" Bud Dean hollered from the kitchen.

"Why are you carrying a loaded gun with you?!" I said to JD.

JD laughed. "It pissed my dad off! C'mon, you gotta admit that was funny."

"None of this is funny!" I said. "You promised something like this wouldn't happen again!"

JD sobered up. "Shit, Veronica, I-"

"Don't." I stood up and left without another word.

Later that night, I got several texts and missed calls from JD, but I didn't bother answering any of them. I didn't want to deal with this anymore. I threw my phone in a drawer and went to sleep.

*timeskip*

"Come on, Westerburg!" Mcnamara cheered. "Here we go! Here we go now!"

The next day, all the students were in the gym watching the cheer squad perform their choreographed dance that they've been practicing for. Karen and Gretchen decided to join, apparently. Regina was still injured from the bus crash, so she was just sitting down. Mcnamara, of course, was in front, being head cheerleader and all.

"Hey yo, Westerburg! Tell me what's that sound?"
"Here comes Westerburg! Comin' to put you in the ground!"
"Go! Go Westerburg! Give a great big yell!"
"Westerburg will knock you out, and send you straight to hell!"

While most of the students were clapping along with her, others, just like me, were sitting there, bored. I pulled out my diary to write about how boring the pep rally was when I suddenly noticed something.

JD wasn't here.

I was 100% sure that he went to school today since I saw him go in. I looked around to double check. There was absolutely no sign of him in the gym. He probably would have ditched to grab a slushie, but, the thing is, he never hesitates to ask me to come along with him since I'm bored with this shit as well. The only other people absent were Westerburg's nearly non-existent math team.

All the teachers were too busy watching the pep rally, so I sneaked out to go find JD. I wandered around the campus for a bit to no avail.

"Where the hell is he?" I asked myself.

Of course, he would have just gone home or his dad dragged him there, but he would at least tell me where he went.

On the way back to the gym, I happened to pass by the boiler room.