f o u r.

CHAPTER FOUR: THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN.

belle and rose watched as their dad, rafael set up the security system to their house

belle and rose watched as their dad, rafael set up the security system to their house. belle looked over to see their mother, melissa, turn on the television that connected to the cameras outside of their house.

"look what alice had put up," melissa called out to rafael as she read the article.

rafael looked over her shoulder to skim through, "she may not live on the southside anymore, she may not want anything to do with the serpents but deep down she knows, she can never get rid of who she was."

melissa sighed as she looked at rafael, "serpents don't shed their skin so easily." he reminded her.

_____

belle sat in her kitchen as she watched the video archie had put up, "you keep rewinding it, you're gonna break your laptop," rose told her.

"i just. . . i don't get it. why can't he leave it to the police," belle exclaimed, "i get why his doing this. i get it but, i just don't want him to get hurt."

"people do stupid things to protect the ones they love," rose reminded her, belle sighed as she closed the tab.

_____

belle walked into the room that kevin and betty where in, "betty? are you okay?" she questioned.

"i was going through the blue and gold's mail. . . and i got a letter from the black hood killer," betty told them as she handed belle the letter.

belle grabbed it and sat down next to kevin so he could read it as well, "he says he's doing it for me." betty informed them.

"betty, your words at the jubilee inspired me. the towns sinners must show their contribution. if not, there will be more suffering and bloodshed. enclosed is a cipher. it details where i will punish the next sinner. it is a test. only you may solve it, betty," kevin read.

betty exhale, "my speech. . . inspired him. that stupid speech belle and i wrote."

"so, the black hood was at the jubilee." kevin said.

"the entire town was there," belle reminded him.

"we have to give this to my dad or belle's," kevin suggested.

"the cipher, yeah, sure, but not the letter." betty snatched the letter out of kevin's hands, "this—this is just. . . for me. we can't tell anyone."

"it's evidence," kevin told them.

"kevin, if we give this to your dad or belle's, they will tell my mum and she will make sure i'm nowhere near this," betty said.

"good," kevin spoke.

"no. this. . . is a test. he said so himself. what if. . . the started of the test is to see what i do with the letter? do we share it? or not? am i—? am i strong? or am i weak? am i worthy?" betty questioned.