Ninth Chocolate

At the age of ten, she can bake cakes. Yet, it's a long journey before she perfectly created it. By that, most of her baking sessions are in a huge mess. Thanks to Ray, he's helping her to clean it up.

On the 15th day of January, she made a chocolate gateau cake as a birthday present for him.

"Ray! Abi-neechan is in the infirmary!" Emma shouted, her face masked with a worried expression. Most of the children's attention went to the fiery-haired girl and started to worry as well.

Ray, who was currently reading a book, was in a state of shock when he heard those words from Emma. He hurriedly stood up, a book fell on the grass near on the basked tree and scurried himself inside the house. Emma was about to explain the events happened but he just passed her by, running through the field in panic.

Once he was on the front door of the infirmary, he spontaneously opened the door and the first thing he saw was the ravenette girl who just flinched in her stead because of the sudden creak of the door. The cake almost dropped on the floor. She noticed that Ray's perspiring too much, conceiving that he dashed himself here to check her out.

She felt guilty in her surprise for him. She made a nervous laugh and bashfully uttered, "Uhm, surprise?"

The annoyance bloomed unto him, yet the pang of relief gave him the time to compose himself. Before he would say something absurd to her, the room was bombarded with a greeting from behind. She also chorused herself with them.

"Happy Birthday Ray!"

"This is ridiculous." Ray enunciated impassively to them. However, deep inside, this event was inevitable for him to happen. He was glad.

Abigail smiled at him. "Well, you are surprised. That's why it's ridiculous to you."

"You made me worry, stupid."

The beam wavered on her face as she let go her left hand from the plate, balancing the cake with her dominant palm and ruffled his hair. "My apologies, Ray."

That time, Ray had an urge to hug her but the cake was the hindrance of his plan.