Chapter 3

Rio walked with Marcus under his arm. Beth followed behind them closely but not too close. She was a nervous wreck. She stopped walking and Rio turned around as soon as she stopped. Beth was looking at the ground worried.

Rio gave her a concerned look but she didn't look up at him. "What's wrong?"

Beth shook her head. "I can't".

Rio still concerned but now confused. Was this all too much? He thought to himself well of course it was. "Listen my family's not one of those judgemental types".

Beth shook her head again. " No it's not that...well it is but it's just why did you invite me?" She finally looked up at him. "You've told me before all you want this to be is business that's all".

That cut deep. Rio looked down at Marcus and Beth's eyes followed. "Oh my... I'm sorry I just..."

"Nah it's cool", Rio squatted down to Marcus. "Hey little man here's the keys go sit in the car for a little bit okay". Rio handed Marcus the keys and lightly nudged him to walk.

Marcus took the keys and walked to the car. Once he was in Rio looked at Beth who wouldn't look at him back.

Rio sighed and pulled Beth's chin up. "That was a long time ago darlin".

Beth looked at him with sad eyes. Rio didn't know that night still bothered her. "It wasn't suppose to happen". She didn't know why it bothered her so much right now or at all. She hadn't thought about that night for a long time but something about meeting his family lit the spark again. She was hurt. Heartbroken even.

Rio removed his hand and placed them in his pockets. "I know". He sighed again and looked over at the car to see Marcus quickly turn away. "If you want I can call you a cab I shouldn't have asked you to come... My bad".

It feels like all Beth was doing was shaking her head. "No no I mean I'm already here and I didn't mean to bring down the mood I was just... curious".

"Nah I understand if you don't feel comfortable you can go I mean it".

Beth took a breathe in and let it out slowly "I'm sure I'll be fine"

"Elizabeth"

"Rio"

Rio didn't want her to feel like she was forced to go or make her feel uncomfortable. "You one hundred percent positive you wanna go".

Beth rolled her eyes. "Yes now I'm sure we're three hours late so chop chop your running on a clock Rio".

Rio laughed and shook his head as he ran to the car. Marcus and Rio ran right past Beth. She laughed and sighed.

"Come on keep up Elizabeth".

"Your out of your mind if you think I'm running in a dress and heels".

Rio stopped running. He was out of breathe. Marcus stopped running not as out of breathe as Rio was.

"Now you two are sweaty and out of breath".

Rio took a deep breath in. "I don't know what your talkin about ma I'm fine"

"Uh huh definitely looks like it".

Rio laughed and walked to her left side as Marcus walked to her right side and grabbed her hand. Beth looked down at him and smiled. "Ready to have some fun".

Marcus eagerly nodded his head. Rio doesn't think he'll ever get over seeing those two together lovingly. She's a great mom no doubt about that. They walked into a banquet hall filled with people. The music was loud but the laughter of people was louder. Rio put his hand on the small of Beth's back and urged her to walk forward. She turned to look at him while Marcus still held her hand. Beth leaned in toward his ear to avoid yelling over the music.