If You Say Goodbye Today

Frank's POV

We were sitting on the swings at the local park. We weren't swinging, we were just sitting hand in hand and discussing nothing in particular. The sun was setting and the sky was becoming a darker shade of blue as the time slipped through our fingers. Gerard stood up, fixing his shirt. I did the same. We walked hand in hand back home where I made him coffee and he sat on the couch and began to draw. He flipped the page of where he drew the swing set with us on it, saying he wanted to capture the moment forever even though it happened quite a lot. He played with the wedding band on his finger as he thought, his pencil in his mouth as though it were a cigarette. He must've had an idea because he began to draw lines on the page. I sat beside him, watching him draw. He was so involved in his artwork that he probably didn't notice that I was there. It felt like hours had passed before he put his sketchpad down, hiding the image from me. When I went to pick it up and see what he had drawn, he simply grabbed me by the hand. He entwined his fingers with mine and pushed me back onto the couch, he was hovering over me as he lowered his lips to mine. Slowly and softly at first before there was a sense of need. He demanded access and I immediately grant it to him. He was running his hands up and down my chest.

And then I woke up, shaking and crying with the realization that it had all been a dream and Gerard had long since gone, his picture still on my bedside table along with our wedding rings that I refused to bury with him.