Trapped (Part 2)

I pound at the cell door as hard as I possibly can to let the guards know I need something. When I hear the key card slide through the slot I back away from the door, making sure the guards had enough space to enter. "Prisoner 299 we are here to escort you and some other of the prisoners to see Pike."

I back up even more, "why are we leaving the Sky box? This is not my time. I don't turn 18 for another few months." I state as I am extremely frightened about what could occur. Who is Pike? Is he the man to suck all the air out of my lungs?

"Charles Pike is a teacher, you are going to Earth Skills, a class in which you will be taught about survival on the ground."

"Why do I need a class if we are never going to be on the ground?"

"I'll only ask you once more, follow." His weapon is out and by his side. I follow after the other guard in the room and the other follows me. I look around, there is no one I know. Where is my sister? I continue to follow walking down the long vacant halls. We are lead into a room where everyone takes their seats. I feel so out of place with these people.  Never have I had an actually conversation with anyone besides Bellamy, O, my mother and Kyle. I sit in the second row and wrap my arms around my body, nervous about what we are going to learn.

"Hey." I look to my side and see a boy my age with dirty blonde hair, chestnut eyes and a nice smile. I nod my head at him, in a way of saying hello. "How come I have never seen you before? Are you from farmer station?" His body is hunched over, his hands in his lap, his teeth biting his lip, making him look extremely attractive.

"I don't know which station I'm from." I answer honestly. I was never told as a child.

"Okay." He looks forward shaking his head in disappointment.

"I'm Demetria." I hold out my hand to him.

He grips my hand tight, "Sterling." He smiles, and so do I. "so, Demetria if I can ask. How did you end up here?"

"I was born." I look around to see if anyone was listening. No one was. "I kinda have two siblings."

Sterling is about to say something when a African man walked into the room. He looks strong, and smart. "Hello kids. Welcome to Earth Skills."

I look at the night sky, seeing the Ark way off in the vast distance. I never liked living up in space because I was confined, but ever since we landed on Earth its been nothing but Hell. At least up there I was safe in the comfort of my old home, even in the Sky box. Down here you have to look out for yourself. You have to always be on alert just in case something awful occurs. You have to watch what you say and who you say it to. You have to be cautious of your actions because one way or another somebody is always watching you. You have to own up to who you are. Because down here it is very easy to lose your way. Down here, who we are, and who we need to be to survive are very different things.

I continue to lay on the radiation soaked Earth, where some of the plants and insects glow. I can feel the cool air glide across my skin. For one moment everything is so peaceful. So perfect. I wonder what would happen if we were never sent down here. I would still be in the Skybox, with Kyle and Abby. I would never have been taught Earth Skills because there would be no need. And I would never have become friends with Sterling.

Sterling is a different character. He is so sure of himself. He knows exactly who he is and what he has done in order for him to become the person he is today. His crime on the Ark was not anything Satan would do. It was not murder. I remember he told me he was there because of knocking out Jackson to steal medicine for his dying mother.

"May I join you?" I look to my side and see Cyrus. I nod my head. He lays down beside me and remains quiet. He is different from anyone I have ever met. Murphy, Sterling and Kyle are all open books. Cyrus is quite the opposite. He keeps his guard up, he is passionate about what he believes, and his eyes hold fear in them. As if death is just lingering beneath the surface of his ice cold blue orbs. "What was it like." I turn my head to face him. "In space?" He is gazing up into the atmosphere seeing the Ark.

"I'm not the one you should ask." I lay my head back down and huff.

"Why should I not ask you?"

I take a deep breath before speaking. "My whole life I've been locked up one way or another. You see on the Ark, the spaceship we lived on, it was illegal to have more the one child." I can tell Cyrus is listening intently to this so I continue. "My mother had Bellamy, my brother, then six years later she got knocked up and gave birth to Octavia and I. We spent our whole lives under the floor and in our room. No one except for Bellamy and my mom knew we existed. That was until Octavia and I went to a party, my brother was one of the guards men so he thought it would be safe. Unfortunately we were caught and sent to the Skybox or as you may know it down here, prison."

"Then they just sent you all down here? The prisoners?" Why am I telling him this. He could use this information and tell it to their leader. I just nod. "You sound very displeased with your mother. Why?"

I sit up and lean my weight on my elbows. "Weren't you listening? She had me, It's her fault that I am a prisoner. It's her fault I didn't have a childhood, I didn't get to go to school, to make friends, to have a life. It's her fault that I was born!" A tear escapes my eye. I harshly wipe it away and lay down in annoyance.

"Can't you see that all your mother did was protect you because she loved you?"  

"She protected us so she wouldn't get floated." Cyrus stays quiet. Thank god I don't have to talk about this anymore. "When are you taking me home Cyrus?"

"Tonight. I'm taking you home tonight." He stands up and begins to walk towards what would hopefully be camp. I get up and follow him.

Its been over an hour but we finally reached the camp. I see the torches in the distance. "This is where I must leave you. Don't get caught outside your walls again because I won't always be there to save you." I smile and nod. He begins to walk away.

"Cyrus!" He turns around. "Thank you for saving my life." He gives a slight nod and continues to trek through the woods.

I head for the doors of camp, raising my arms up in surrender just in case the guards don't recognize me. "Don't shoot! Its Demetria Blake."

I see one of the guardsmen lower his weapon. "Demetria?" Its Sterling. He smiles and runs down from his post. I see the doors begin to open and see him walk out. I run into his open arms and take in the smell of someone familiar. He wraps his arms around my waist. Soon we pull apart. "Where the hell have you been? What happened to you? You're covered in scars. Bellamy has sent out so many search parties looking for you."

"The grounders took me, but I escaped. I'm fine. I told them nothing." I look around to see that Bellamy and Octavia are not here. "Where is my family?"

"Octavia is inside but Bellamy and some others are still looking for you. Don't worry they should be back in the morning."