1.

the beginning ;

the beginning ;

Dear no one,

The year was 2011, it was early autumn, the beginning of a new school year. My first, in this small town. And so everything and everyone was unfamiliar.

I walked into the class, a mere stranger to them all.

I was different, I could tell, to what they knew. Whether it was my large angular eyes that I'd inherited from my father or the coiled hair that my mother had contributed, all they saw when they looked at me was different.

I'd always known it, but I'd never felt it till now.

They were but sixth graders, yet their eyes held the kind of judgement that not even one with a multitude of experience deserved to hold. I realised very quickly that I wanted to change that.

To change them.

To change the ideas formulating in their minds about who I was before they'd even gotten to know me.

Yet.

"Class, I'd like you to welcome Golden Boy. He's just moved here from-" she seemed stuck for a moment, having realised she knew as much about me as the rest of the class.

"A place far away," I'd said in a small, timid voice. A place I'd dearly miss, it seemed. I wasn't sure this would ever be home. There was no one, besides my parents, to make it feel that way.

I wished then that I was anyone but me. Anyone but this mixed kid who they'd all decided they didn't want. This was supposed to be a fresh start - a new beginning for my family. Only, I found myself wishing I could go back to where we'd come from, because there I had friends and happiness and so much more than I ever saw myself having here.

All I was, was a loner sixth grader with a heritage that seemed to define me wherever I went. And I let it.  Something I seem to do a lot of even now - letting outer exteriors dictate who I am, who I'll be.

As I stood in the front of the class that day, their eyes boring into my existence, I knew.

I knew it'd be the worst year of my life. The loneliest one too.

- golden boy