19• MOON VALLEY

We walk through the woods following Ms Wardwell.

Prudence insisted Dorcas and Agatha tag along.

"What if she's not home?" Dorcas asks and I turn to her.

"Something tells me she's not the type to pop down to Dr Cerberus for a milkshake" I smile sarcastically.

We're looking for a witch that ran from her feast.

She's never left the woods since.

"What made you run Dezmelda? From the dark lord?" Sabrina asks as we sit in her small outdoor house.

"I didn't run from the dark lord, I ran from my high priest. I was a child, all of us were, all fourteen who took part in the lottery. Younger than you. No one questioned why that was, and i was selected to be queen, and then..." she trails off, looking down.

"Her high priest had a revelation delivered unto him by the dark lord, allegedly. The night before the feast, the high priest was to initiate her" Ms Wardwell continues for her.

A sick feeling fills my stomach as Dezmelda shakes her head lightly, "I was only a child" her voice trembles.

"Rather than allow herself to be violated, Dezmelda fled into the woods. She's lived her ever since" Ms Wardwell nods and Prudence furrows her brows.

"What happened then isn't what father Blackwood is asking now" she says firmly.

"Just listen to your words, father Blackwood is asking you to do this thing, not the dark lord" I turn to her, why can't she see that?

"Father Blackwood is a righteous messenger" Prudence pushes the idea away.

"But he isn't devine, he's flesh and blood, just like you and me. Which means he has faults and he sins, he can be wrong, he can be corrupted" Sabrina tries pushing the matter.

Prudence shakes her head, "are you suggesting father Blackwood is on his own? Independent of the dark lord?" She accuses but it's obvious she's curious herself.

"We're saying it's possible" I breathe out, folding my hands in my lap as a eerie feeling washes over me.

"But why? It's clear Dezmelda's high priest had an agenda but how would my death serve father Blackwood? He's taken care of me, raised me, treated me like a daughter" Prudence's voice shakes.

A loud gunshot echoes too close for comfort and i jump back as we all scan the trees anxiously.

"What have you done, who else have you brought to this place?" Dezmelda panics.

"No one, I swear" Ms Wardwell assures as we all grab our things, standing up.

"Go, never come back!" Dezmelda raises her voice as we run.

"It was a familiar" Ms Wardwell answers as we approach a dead deer.