Chapter 6. Treason

There is bad then worse then worst but when you see Paige personally getting involved in a matter it's beyond worst. He's a bald guy with a little protruding belly, mirth always dancing in eyes but this time they are cold. Scanning every document that passes through his eyes with scrutiny.

I knock on the door to get his attention. The tap makes him look up from the pages when his eyes meet mine he smiles welcoming to me.

"Licy, come in."

I cut through the room and face him.

"Paige." I nod.

"The others must be joining in soon." He observes looking past us into space.

"I thought this was Rick's call." Ivy voice from beside me. Seeing her now reminds me the first time I've seen her. Straight back, chin up and hands behind, total sophistication just like today.

"Oh, Ivy?" Paige asks narrowing his eyes a little, assessing her overall.

"Yes, sir."

Hearing her response a deep laugh erupt from his throat. "No need to be so polite. You can address me by my name. You're part of the family now. Such formalities make me feel superior like a boss." I open my mouth to cut him but he raises his hands in surrender before I can say anything. "Okay, okay. I am the boss but just by name. We still go by team and we all know if anyone here is bossy, it's you Licy."

Ivy chuckles and this time even my lips move to a lopsided grin.

"Oh, that we agree of." And there he's again. I didn't turn back to answer him.

"If we ever face a hunger crisis I'll make sure to mince you and make a delicious soup of yours to serve others."

"Ooo," he coo. "I would've said how thoughtful of you but knowing your temper you'll probably mince everyone who'll ask food from you."

"And that everyone is definitely going to be you 'cause other people don't die for food." I snap.

"Oh, Paige does." Thomas retort.

"Food is life, Licy." Paige says at the same time.

I straight glare at Paige but he smiles sheepishly at me.

A cold breath trickles my ear and then I hear a whisper of 'told ya' before Thomas whiz past me to beside Paige and they do some weird handshake. I'm so tempted to roll my eyes right now.

Lucky for me, Liam interrupts us by his knock.

"Hey, Ivy." Liam wink at Ivy and nod at me.

Wink?

Following him, Rick enters grimly and deadly looks at Paige with vengeful eyes.

"May I know the reason you summon me, sir."

"Rick," Paige grit out the word. "We made you enter Biointel to get the documents that benefit us by letting out their secrets. But this-" he sweeps the documents from his desk on the floor, "-is total shit. These physical files are all about us. Our deals and deeds. JUST US. What about them Rick? Where are they in it?"

He shrugs. "That's all I found. The deeds." He starts walking straight to the window behind Paige but Thomas lurches him back and throws him to the other side of the room.

"You better start giving us some lead Ricky."

"I told you!" He jumps on his place and forwards to Thomas but Liam put a hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"Let me." Rick look at him for a long time but then nod hesitatingly.

Liam stride from beside him and sits on the vacant couch placed near the wall. "They have all information of our past transaction with other companies. Not only that, the last set of the deviant's all information is on it too." He looks at Ivy before continuing. "Elite's abilities are listed vaguely but enough to give an idea of our potential but that's not the real problem over here. The main problem is this." He shows us a memory stick.

"When Thomas left with Rick I enter Biointel's system and found a long history of money transaction and emails. Any guess who's our little traitor here?"

I think of all our subs who can open against us. If this is against Futura, it's against the whole biological modification. The future of technology and life. This can be the biggest scam they can get their hands on. A chance to sew themself to the memoir of heroes. Fake heroes.

Before my thoughts can select a few faces from my memories Paige speaks in a hushed voice, barely audible. "Betty."

What?

"Yes." Liam's lip twitches but it's a smile far away from humour. "She practically sold us to them."

Silence overlap the room. We all take our time to digest the pill Liam shoved us. I let my gaze travel to everyone's face.

Thomas is facing the floor. His face constricts in pain of betrayal. We hurt but not hunt our kind. "Did she knew of us heading to Biointel HQ?" He ask us, looking up through his long lashes.

"No." Ivy answer.

If this is all true then we are in trouble and I don't mean the info-trade trouble.

Paige presses the button on his desk and speaks through the intercom. "Find Betty and immediately summon her to me." His voice resonating the whole floor.

"No need, I'll get her. She's in practice room."

I immediately turn around after saying this. The surrounding becomes thicker and thicker with every step I take.

I have to get her before we lose her.

It's not like she's going to die there or something. At most, she'll just be sprawl like a boozehound on pavement tomorrow.

Ivy's words ring in my head and I run through the hallway down the floor till my lungs start screaming.

_______________________________

Yup. Finally, an early update!

Just kidding. I think it's time we finally let some dark secrets up now, don't we? I'm really excited for the coming chapters. I have a lot of ideas swimming through my head though I don't know how they'll turn the story ahead but still, I'm loving it ^^

Vote. Comment. Share. If you can❤️