Chapter 12. Feeling home(part II)

We see Rebecca heavily sleeping in the bed―her bed and Thomas staring at her. Liam lightly knocks on the door to get his attention and when he turned to the sound I jerk my head sideway, asking him to come with us. He nods and slowly comes out, closing the door behind him.

We meet in the kitchen and I instantly go over to the fridge. I’m starving but my mood goes south real fast when I encounter an empty fridge. Why I even thought they’ll be food in an empty house? Thomas decides to voice my thought by laughing like a hyena.

“Shut up.” I hiss at him but that only makes him laugh harder and I saw Liam silently chuckling behind me. This guy can swing for any party without any morals. I start walking out of the kitchen with hard steps and just when I’m at the corridor I look over my shoulder and tell them to order pizza.

Behind I hear Liam and Thomas burst into laughter. I ignore them and walk to the couch in the living room. When I settle in it, I heave an involuntary sigh. Closing my eyes I was almost asleep when I hear some virtual voice in the surrounding.

“…..was found in the middle of 23 street, lying naked.” I begrudgingly open my eyes to see Liam lazily slouch on the couch, accompanied by Thomas and watching the news. Turning my gaze over to the screen, I recognize the street they are talking about. It’s the one we’ve passed on our way to here. “Witnesses claim to him having psychic powers as he made random object hover in the air with his fingers. After about two hours of intense fire round, he was taken down by dozens of police. Ten police officers and more than two dozen civilians were killed by him. Inside sources claimed him to be a prototype of Biointel. Gerald, the head of the corporation is arrested for genetic malpractice. He, meanwhile, claim to be oblivious of such acts being practised in his corporation. After his arrest, the hidden speculations of everyone roar loud this time–do we have genetically modified people living among us? Have they already found their way in our society? No one knows how this man came in the middle of the streets out of nowhere but the main question is how many more?”

“This could’ve gone down in a smooth way, Thomas.”

“Now, where’s fun in that one?”

“Fun in not highlighting questions, you mean?”

“Same meaning, differently phrased.”

I pinch the bridge of my nose and turn my head back towards the screen, knowing it’s useless to have a rational argument with him. Just then there’s knock on the door and before I can get up or even acknowledge it Thomas jump and run screaming.

“Pizzaaaa!!!!”

“How come he’s the one that remain alive among the rest three?” I whisper when he's dashed himself away. Liam chuckle shaking his head.

“You know, we have to sort this thing out before Allen finds out.”

“I’m aware of it, Liam.”

“Aware of what?” Thomas asks keeping the pizzas and sodas down and before I can answer him he continues, “leave it. We’ll talk later. I’m hungry.”

I sigh and speak lightly. “When are you not?”

“I heard it.”

“Wasn’t meant not to.”

“I think,” Liam says taking a slice of pizza and I do the same. “You two are aware that you can talk without biting each other’s heads off every time.”

“Now, where’s fun in that.” We both reply simultaneously.

“Mommy?” Rebecca’s small voice cut us all and that is when I realized having pizza by leaving a hungry kid out is a very bad idea.

“Oh, Becca. You’re awake. You must be hungry, come here.”

“Or,” Thomas walk and pick Rebecca in his arms, “we two can eat alone playing some games. What do you say?”

She looks at me asking for approval, I nod at her and a smile spread on her face making her eyes lit with happiness. Seeing her like this ease my mind from worries. It’s just a few days, everything will be sorted then.

Thomas takes a box of pizza and carries her back to her room.

“We should involve Ivy in this too. Look, I mean,” Liam say a few minutes after Thomas left, “if we’re going to keep everyone out of it, the important thing would be Elite’s integrity. Besides, we always need to cover up for the one who’s going to be here with her and you know Ivy’s going to know about her, one way or other. But this can’t be a secret from her for too long.”

I sigh and push myself back on the sofa. If I think it that way, he do have a point but trusting her is much more complicated than keeping this secret. In this way I can at least will be sure of no leaks but I can’t say the same for the later situation.

We fall in silence after that. Just finishing our pizzas and watching the news. I don’t know after how long Liam's phone ring. He looks the caller ID and tells me, “it’s late. We should leave for our dorms.” I check the time. 10:35.

“Ivy?” he nods in reply. “You guys go ahead I’ll stay here to watch over Rebecca.”

“All right.” He drags himself up on feet. “Let me ask Thomas to come back. It’s hard he’s going to leave her with you.”

“I’m not that bad.”

“I never said bad. Just a little less compassionate maybe, but not bad.”

“That makes me feel better.”

He gives a lopsided grin in response and moves ahead into the hall towards Rebecca’s room. I follow him behind, trailing his steps. He stops at the door, looks back at me and signals me to come over there with his hands. I step beside him and watch Rebecca sleeping soundly with her head on Thomas' lap and his hand on her shoulder. His head is resting on the headboard. Thomas looks so attached to her that I decide to leave him with her tonight. Liam and I share a look and I know that he’s thinking the same.

I turn around to leave the house but before I do, I again take a look at them.

I think you can be her favourite.

_______________________________

See? She can be a little soft-hearted at times. XD

Vote. Comment. Share.