Present Day 4

Remember this is a short story!!

Jude sat there digesting what Jasmine said. It made sense. Of course it just hurt a little extra that it was Hunter. But honestly he was relived in a sense that he knew Hunter was a good person.

"I understand." He finally spoke. He in fact did isolate himself from Hunter and Jasmine. He wasn't himself. And he was mad at Jasmine for going to his brother to put him in rehab.

"I would never intentionally hurt you Jude in fact I didn't ever think we would see each other again it's been 6 years. The global health conference being here was a surprise but still I didn't expect to see you on my first time out and about." She sighed scratching her head.

He nodded. It still tasted bitter to him that she fell in love with someone else but that was his Jazzy and she deserved more than anyone else to be as happy as can be.

She was the light in his life and he almost extinguished her. She didn't deserve the suffering she's went through she didn't deserve any of what Jude has put her through.

"I love you Jasmine I've never and will never stop." His voice cracked. "I love you too Jude." A tear fell down her face. They realized this was closure. This was the final step in both of their recovery.

They had to do this face to face or it wouldn't be the same. Jude sat outside at the stream trying not to cry as he thought about Jasmine and Hunter getting married.

They deserved happiness and they were the best people Jude had ever met in his life. They were perfect for each other. He thought hopefully after he hung out with Jasmine she would change her mind but she didn't. She wasn't going to be with Jude again and he didn't blame her.

He turned and looked at Jasmine. She was so beautiful effortlessly.

"You know Jude. Before I loved you, you were my bestfriend." She spoke. "Things will never be the same huh?" She laughed sadly.

Jude looked back down into the stream. "I tried Jude. I did try to love you properly but maybe I just wasn't the one." She sighed.

"You were the one." He answered gruffly. "I know for a fact you were, you ARE, the one for me but I f*cked it up."

Jasmine rubbed his shoulder. "Stop hating yourself. You went through so many rough times and were thrown in the deep end when you weren't prepared. I don't hate you Jude I told you I forgive you." She smiled.

"Then why won't you be with me Jasmine! You love me you said it yourself." He sighed pathetically.

He knew why of course. He was just upset and desperate. She deserved better. And she had better.

"Because you don't always end up with the people you first loved. Sometimes life has other plans and different love. And as much as I forgive you Jude and used to wish I could go back in time and be with you, I can't. I hurt too much, there is too much pain behind our love that I fear if by chance I decided to be with you again, I would slowly let resentment and fear creep in again and you don't deserve to be with someone who doubts you. It was hard forgiving you but I'm glad I did I promise I always will love you Jude O'Conner. Always."

Both of them were now in tears. This was really the end for Jude and Jasmine. Even 6 years a part a sliver of him still had hope she was his forever. But now he was sure his luck had died out.

"Jasmine. I can never be with anyone else." He exhaled. She chuckled. "You will find someone else and you'll make her happy. You are a great man Jude."

Jude rubbed his beard frustrated. He didn't want anyone else. He wouldn't want anyone else. "Jude lay next to me." Jasmine said laying on her back and Jude obliged.

She offered him a headphone Jude looked at her in confusion before putting in him his ears. When the music started to play tears started rolling down his face.

"Hey Jude" was playing.

The song Jasmine always antagonized him with. That he never got the chance to listen to for some reason. But he was glad he got to listen to it with her.

Jasmine held his hand and wiped the tears from his face. The words were so simply but he felt them in his soul. His emptiness was filled with hope. And his loneliness wasn't going to be forever. He still had a chance to be happy in life even if it wasn't with who he always wanted to be happy with.

It might not be in the next 5-10 years but Jude believed one day. Their hearts would find each other again. Sometimes when you love someone it's at the wrong time and you separate. Even if she wasn't his anymore he hoped one day he could be apart of her life again.

Jude stepped back and Jasmine and Hunter married. He agreed with their reason of not inviting him. It would be painful. But he knew he would always hold on to hope that one day he would be the one at the end of the aisle waiting for her. Even that was just a fantasy.

But when Jasmine let him back into her life, even as a friend, he wouldn't take it for granted.

Next chapter is the end