chapter 9

Award shows had never really been her thing. Sure, she'd been to her fair few in her life but that didn't mean it was something she particularly enjoyed. The shows were always the same, repetitive thing and the afterparties all tended to blend into one.

She'd chosen to skip the show this time, opting to simply turning up at the afterparty with a drink in hand and an already bad attitude. Taylor had informed her that she was skipping the party, and would be heading home to spend some time with Tom. The thought of it made Leia feel sick to the core.

The afterparty was in full swing when Leia had arrived, the sound of music pulsating through the crowded venue. After Taylor decided to back down from the party, Leia found that most of their group of friends did too. The girl was disappointed in all of their lack of efforts, especially since they didn't break the news until she was already on the way but she respected that Gigi had offered to stay to keep her company.

It was the first time Leia had attended one of the big celebrity blowouts without any of he friends directly by her side, and it felt strange to be navigating this strange vibe by herself. Her eyes scanned around the room, trying to spot the blonde model that had convinced her to still come inside, knowing that she would have ended up just going home and sitting by herself with Tate (who was currently being dog-sat by Riven, who had seemingly became Tate's new favourite person).

As she made my way towards the bar, Leia couldn't help but notice the glances and whispers that followed her. It came with the territory, being in the spotlight, but tonight it felt different. They weren't just recognising her as Leia Hudson, the rising star. No, they were associating her with Taylor Swift, and with that came a weighty expectation to live up to her level of success and artistry.

Taylor and Adrian had been right when they said that people in the industry wouldn't like how she'd put Calvin on blast and dropped from his single. Apparently, that wasn't the 'respected' thing in the circles that most people here seemed to run in. Leia couldn't imagine why.

She ordered a vodka coke from the bartender, trying to drown out her racing thoughts with the clinking of glasses and laughter around the venue. Her eyes flickered around as she tried to stop Gigi once more, instead she ended up grimacing slightly as she noticed a familiar Scottish DJ in the back corner with a group of models hanging over him. She continued her search in the hopes that she would at least know someone other than Calvin Harris at this party.

No sign of Gigi at all.

A short tap on her shoulder had her turning her heard, a soft but confused smile falling on to her lips as she looked at the figure that had approached her. He held himself high, almost as if he was untouchable compared to the rest of them, as he studied the singer with a lopsided smile.

"Leia, right?"

Leia nodded, her hand still holding on to her drink as she slipped her free palm into his outstretched hand. He was still smiling widely at her and the girl was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable at the interaction with him.

She didn't know the full story of what had happened between Justin Bieber and Selena, but she knew it didn't feel right to be talking to him when Selena was one of her closest friends.

When Leia was younger, her and Georgie had been obsessed with the man holding her hand. They had fantasised about what it would be like to meet him, even read fan stories about falling in love with him on the midst of a sold out world tour. But as Leia got older, he got more problematic. And as she become more famous, she had heard many a story about the man to make her weary about even being seen standing with him.

Where was Gigi when she needed her?

Her eyes flickered down to the phone in her hand, not bothering to even hide to Justin that she wasn't really that interested in talking to him. The familiar green text bubble of Gigi stared straight back at her, a frustrated sigh resting on her lips as she read the words.