Thursday

New York City Peter's POV

The next morning I woke up to the sound of the girls chattering in the next room. I stretched and smiled. My parents have been gone on business for the last month so I'm used waking to complete silence. In fact, most of my life was spent in silence lately. My parents aren't bad, just busy and I don't really trust many of my friends. I was heartbroken when Veronica moved last week and so glad to hear from her this week.

I had planned on visiting this weekend because I was so lonesome and when she called to say she was coming here, I was overjoyed. When she explained that she was bringing her mom and some friends, I was unsure because although I love her mom, I don't usually get along with other kids my age. Then when she explained the part I needed to play in the plan to get back at those two jerks that had manipulated Betty, I was intrigued. I have a natural need to protect and it sounded like Betty had been mistreated by the two people she trusted so I agreed against my better judgement. When I met Betty, I knew that my instincts were correct. She is so sweet and I could feel the kindness radiating off of her. I was suspicious of Cheryl at first but after watching her around V and Betty all day, I understand her. I'm not exactly sure what happened but at some point C and B had to save each other and neither one of them will ever forget it. Cheryl watches out for B at all times and I've noticed that she is starting to do the same for V.

Speaking of V and C, I could feel the tension between them and I think that they will become a couple soon which might be interesting because neither of them seem like the settling down type. At least not any time soon. I really hope that it doesn't ruin the friendship between the three of them because they each seem to really need it. Hell, I really need a friendship like that and while I'm extremely attracted to Betty and would love to have a serious relationship with her, I needed her friendship more. I needed all three of them. I had no idea that in the short space of a day, I could find my family.

After we got up, showered and dressed, the girls, V's mom and I headed out to get brunch.

"Shoot" V's mom said, "I forgot to call the car service. Hopefully we can get a cab." Right as a limo pulled up.

I opened the door, "Ladies, Your chariot awaits".

The girls giggled while V's mom said "you shouldn't have".

After we all got in, I cleared my throat, "I need to say something. And be prepared, it's going to be sappy. V has always been my favorite friend and I think of her mom as my own mother but I didn't expect to find two more wonderful people. I want you to know that you four make me feel like I'm home and I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I have to come back here this weekend by myself. I guess that I just want you all to know that you have given me hope and I would be forever grateful if I could call you my best friends." V and B sniffled while C gave me a huge hug and V's mom wiped her eyes.

C pulled back to look me in the eyes and said "I don't consider you a best friend" and my heart dropped but she continued on, "I consider you part of our family. In fact, all four of you are more family to me than my blood family ever could be."

"Same here" V's mom said.

"Ditto" V said and Betty added "Me too" and smiled.

"Well than, ladies" I said "there is nothing too good for my family, Please allow me to spoil you today."

C smiled and said "When you say it like that, how can we say no?"

We went to brunch and shopping and had a complete girls day. It was such a cliché day that in the past I would have laughed at but, honestly, I loved every second. I loved watching V's mom lovingly care for each of us in a million little ways. I loved watching V tease and encourage B's strong side and hug C in moments she didn't expect it but needed it the most. I loved the way she always made sure that I was included. I loved the way C was constantly watching over all of us, making sure we were safe and staring down any one who got too close to her family. I loved seeing Betty bring the joy and softness out of all of us with her unexpected kindness and honesty. It was the best day I had every had.