Chapter 9

Lexi's POV

I was in shock after finding Mr Crouch's body and Harry comforted me the whole time. How was he not totally hyperventilating or something right now? The teachers that I have were understanding and allowed me to miss out on class. I would just have to do the homework to make sure I didn't fall behind.

I had to prepare (mentally, I guess) for the final challenge. We were told it would be in a maze and that we had to retrieve the trophy. I was not going to go very well as I suck with directions.

~*~

I was in my gear, ready for the final task. I walked down to the Quidditch field, which was now mostly occupied by a large-scale maze. Cedric walked over to me and rubbed my shoulder comfortingly. I smiled at him gratefully before turning to Dumbledore who was now giving us a run-down of what the task entailed.

"In this final task, the four of you will make your way through the maze to find the Triwizard Trophy. This maze will mess with your mind and deceive you at every turn. If you need to pull out of the competition, fire a flare in the air with your wand. Everyone clear?"

I nodded before we had to line up in front of our separate entrances into the maze. I looked to Mad-Eye before we were made to walk in. He just nodded at me and pushed me in.

I stumbled before regaining my balance, also grabbing out my wand for reassurance. I turned to the opening to see it close so I was facing another wall of the maze. I was suddenly getting claustrophobic and started to hyperventilate. I kept walking forward though, stumbling over heaps of exposed roots, before running into something. More like someone.

"Cedric!" I exhaled, relieved.

"Lexi, we have to move. Viktor's been cursed. He's gone mad and won't second-think hurting you,"

I followed him as he held my arm and ran forward. Once we stopped, tears started falling down my face.

"Lex, why are you crying? Are you hurt?" He asked, worried.

"No, I'm not hurt. Cedric, I'm really scared. I don't think I can do this," I pointed my wand in the air, ready to fire a flare.

"Hey, you can do this. You don't need to fire a flare," He pushed my arm down so I wouldn't fire, "We have each other. We're together in this. I won't let anything happen to you, not while I'm living and breathing,"

I nodded, the tears drying on my face. We walked down a pathway until Viktor stepped out, his wand pointed directly at us.

"Expelliarmus!" Cedric shouted, disarming Viktor. He then walked up and punched Viktor in the face, knocking him unconscious.

"Cedric, was that really necessary?" I asked when I walked up to Cedric.

"He probably would've fired if we didn't do something first," 

After walking around aimlessly for what seemed like hours, we turned down one path, which was illuminated by the glowing of the Cup. A strong wind started blowing behind us and the hedge started to close up around us. Both Cedric bolted forward; his long legs gave him an unfair advantage over me but I made up for that with my wolf speed.

Roots from the hedge started showing themselves, which meant I tripped over them. I stumbled before falling to the ground, roots wrapping around my legs and ankles. I was clawing the ground, kicking my legs around the try and break the roots' grip. It didn't help.

"Cedric! Help!" I called out, desperate.

Cedric stopped and looked back at me. Instead of instantly running to help me like I thought he would, he debated whether to grab the trophy or not.

"Cedric! Please!" He eventually decided to help me and ran towards me, firing at the roots so they recoiled, freeing my legs.

We ran and finally reached the pedestal which had the trophy.

"What the hell, man! For a second, it was like you weren't going to save me,"

"Well, I did. Your welcome, by the way," Why was Cedric being such a dick? "You should take it. First ever under-age champion to win,"

"No, we should take it together. We'll tie,"

"Okay. On three. One,"

"Two,"

"Three!" We both grabbed the trophy as we were transported away from the maze. But I wasn't expecting this to be the place we were transported to.

We were standing in a graveyard.