Chapter 13

Its little moments like these that make me second think my choices. Maybe its because of the way Jamal was walking, or the fact he was walking with a pimp stick. I was personally never the one for confrontation but as I walked on the sidewalk of the prophets side, I realized that none of that matters. There were prophets outside, lining the other side of the road of which me and Jamal walked on. We surprisingly weren't drawing attention, mostly because we all coached Jamal in the art of shutting up and keeping his head low. 

"Follow me" I lightly whispered to him as I smoothly walked into a alley.

"Give me the walkie" I told him. He fumbled in his backup for a while before he pulled out a grey walkie talkie. 

"Where are you guys" I asked Ruby, Cesar, and Monse through the device

"You guys just went into a alley, we're right behind you" Monse said back. 

"We need to regroup right here. Latrelle's house is a block away" I said back

"You forgot to say over" Jamal told me

"What?" 

"Every time you talk on a walkie talkie you have to say 'over' to signify that your done with your sentence" he rambled. 

I rolled my eyes and leaned against the wall to wait for the rest if the group.

"You missed us?" Cesar said as he crept into the alley, Monse and Ruby walking beside him

"Of course" I said back as I embraced him in a hug. 

"So what's the next move?" Ruby asked. 

"Alright so Latrelle's house is a block away. We go in, we keep the lights off cause I'm pretty sure everyone in this damn side knows about Latrelle. We scan the area, looking for anything that might help us including guns. Then we leave and head to the heart of the Prophets." I said to all of them

"Are we going in too?" Ruby asked

"No, two of you guys are going to stay in those trees I was talking about; probably you and Jamal. Me, Cesar, and Monse are going inside" 

"So we're lookouts?" Jamal asked

"Yep"

"That's fine with me." Ruby said

"Are we going through the front door?" Cesar asked

"No, we're gonna run across the street in pairs of two" I said back

"But there's 5 of us?" Ruby asked

"Sorry Ruby" I laughed before latching my arm with Cesar's

I took 2 deep breathe before I pushed my body from the safety of the alley and into the street lights. My heart thumped against my chest as I ran with Cesar across the street. I opened my eyes as my foot hit the grass and my back hit a brick wall. We were behind his house, which was thankfully in the shadows; away from where all the prophets congregate.

"You good" Cesar whispered to me

"I'm grand" 

I looked over to where the alleyway was seeing Monse, Jamal and Ruby all talking. Ruby was flinging his arms everywhere, Monse with her hands on her hips, and Jamal clutching his pimp stick close to his chest. I was wondering what they were arguing about till I saw Monse squat down slightly and Ruby jump on her back. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the sight of this grown ass boy clutching on to her shoulders as they ran across the sidewalk to us with Jamal following close behind.

"We made it" Jamal huffed, out of breathe

"I can see that" Cesar said, scratching his head

"Did you really have to get on her back?" I asked Ruby turning to him

"Don't judge" he said back while popping his collar

Monse punched Ruby on the side of his arm, he winced and covered it with his hands.

"That's for touching my boob"

"Okay ladies, can we get this moving along?" I asked looking at them to which they all nodded and Jamal took a step away from Monse.

"Ruby and Jamal you two are going in the front of the house and hiding behind the trees with a walkie. If you see someone let us know and then you guys stay put. If we're caught we're all going to die."

"That's comforting" Ruby mumbled

"It should be" I said back.

"Did anyone get a flashlight?" Monse asked

Jamal dug into his bookbag and pulled out a green flashlight.

"You really went all out huh?" Cesar said

"We're going inside, please don't mess this up you two."

We all nodded our head and went our separate ways. I walked up the few stairs that led up to the back screen door. To my greatest pleasure it was unlocked. I looked back at Cesar and Monse before placing my foot in the house. Monse was behind me and Cesar had gone up in the front leading us with the flashlight in his hand. We we're walking along the dark house slowly not knowing where exactly anything was until we came across a room, what I thought was Latrelle's room.

"I'm going to look under his bed" I whispered we all walked in.

"I'll look in the closet" Monse said

"I'll help you" Cesar said to me

Cesar walked over to me and carefully pulled his sheets off the bed and set them on the floor while I looked in his pillow cases. But there was nothing. Cesar lifted up his mattress and I looked under, running my hands underneath until they landed on a cold metal object.

"Got something" I whispered as I slowly pulled it from underneath. I pinched it tightly not to sure how to hold it. I saw Cesar laugh slightly as he took the gun from my hand and placed it in the waist band of his pants.

"I got something too" Monse said as she walked out the closet with a black box. She shone the green light over the contents.

"They're pictures" Cesar said

"Baby pictures" Monse added

I picked one up and took the light from Monse to look closer.

"Of me and Latrelle" I said lightly

We looked deeper in the box until we pulled out a all green key.

"This must be the key for the house" Monse said before placing it in her back pocket.

Monse put the top back on the box and was about to put it back in the closet before we heard a frantic voice on the other end of the walkie talkie.

"Incoming INCOMING"