Unbounded

"Do you want to know the truth about your parents?"

"Or have you always known?" Kylo's voice echoed in Rey's ears.

She closes her eyes and the memory of the throne room plays vividly in her mind. Over and over. She can still smell the awful scent of burning skin and metal all around her. As if she was there again, with him.

"You come from nothing, your nothing."

Flickers of fire reflect in his dark eyes as they search hers. The bright red shredded fabric of the Praetorian Guards catches her eyes.

"But not to me."

Her attention returns to her enemy standing before her.

"Join me." He stretches is hand out to her.

Her gaze drops to his hand then back to his face. She knows deep down that regardless how bad she wants to save him, she can't follow the path that he is going.

"Please." That one word was all it took for her to second guess everything. Her friends, her sense of belonging, and her new home with the resistance. Everything over that one word.

No. I can't. Not when there is so much to give up.

After all the anger comes the sadness. She opens her eyes. Tears streaming down her face and she quickly wipes them away before any of the resistance members see her.

"Rey."

She looks up at General Organa who sits beside her.

"I couldn't save him Leia. I couldn't save Ben." Her eyes fall down to her hands resting on her lap.

The general sighs and takes her hand.

"Rey, I know my son may seem like he is gone, but I still believe he has light in him."

Rey looked up at the general in disbelief. "How? You saw what he did to Luke? To Han?!" Rey can feel her eyes begin to water. "I thought he changed."

"My son has made many mistakes, so have I. But we can't let our mistakes define who we are. Rey, he needs someone to guide him back. To the light."

"How? There is no one who can change his mind."

"You can."

Rey stares at the General with her brows burrowed together.

"You know I can't Leia. I tried earlier when I was on the flag ship. I tried to convince Ben to come join the resistance when we defeated Snoke's guards but he wanted me to join him and the First Order!"

"Then you must gain his trust first. Go and be by his side and make him see that you care for him. I know that is what Ben needs in order to come back to the light. He need you to show him the way. He won't listen to me, I have already lost his trust, but you can Rey. I know my son can trust you but it will require time."

Is the general really proposing she just walk up to Kylo Ren and ask him to join him and help rule the First Order together? "I can't. I rejected his offer and left him behind. He won't believe me even if I tried."

"He will. You just need him to trust you first. In time he will let go of his anger and will want you by his side again." The generals words give Rey hope that Ben hasn't completely been taken over by Kylo Ren.

"But what about the resistance?"

"We will be fine. We are too weak right now to fight. You will go alone and try to join the First Order and bring Ben back."