Unison

If there was anything Rey was good at, it was staying invisible. It could have been days, weeks, even, but she refused to leave her quarters. The darkness of her room mirrored the growing darkness in her mind. How many times had she dreamt of the darkness swallowing her whole? How many times did she have to turn on all the lights in her quarters to keep the darkness that loomed over her at bay?

Every night was the same, horrid visions and dreams of blood-stained hands, her hands; and the faces of all the fallen that laid at her feet. People she knew, people she loved.

Slowly rising from her spot on the floor Rey began to pace. Back and forth. From her bathroom to her door and back. She had refused to let the maids back in after they had tried to move the furniture she had purposely pushed aside. On her first round Rey knew that by the time she reached the bathroom door Senna's footsteps would be halfway down the hall; and that by the time she had made her way back to her door Senna would be knocking.

Senna had been her constant visitor despite Rey refusing to answer. Like clockwork Senna would be there at the same time everyday- shortly after the sleeping cycle had begun. Rey could hear the footsteps getting louder and louder as she kept her pace. Three sharp knocks sounded just as Rey stood in front of her door.

She stared hard at the metal, as if she could see the woman standing on the other side. What would Senna think if she told her about her dreams? Of how she dreamt of her own reflection morphing into a dark and menacing creature that hid deep within herself?

Vision after vision, dream after dream all showing her what she already knew that lived deep inside her. The darkness that called to her, the darkness that seduced her. She would turn to the dark side, eventually.

It was just a matter of time.

And then the voice would return.

"My child, this is the will of the force."

The voice she was very well accustomed to.

And when it would stop speaking to her, she would go through the cycle again.

But there was one ray of light that shined through her internal darkness.

It was when he would come to her. It was as if he could feel her despair. And when she would reach her darkest moment, Rey would instantly feel his arms around her.

He didn't care that she would fight him, turn him away as she grappled with the voice in her head. He would wrap his arms around her and comfort her. She would struggle against him until she could no longer do so, and at the end he would still be there holding her.

There were times where she would lose herself so wholly in the darkness that when she was finally able to pull herself back she would be on the floor in Kylo's arms, weeping into his chest. His arms felt like a protective wall, isolating her from her fears.

Kylo never said a word about it to her. Never questioned her screams in the middle of the night or her need to lock herself in her room.

She was beginning her next round when she looked up at the door and saw Kylo standing there. Startled, she stopped pacing and stood there, watching him watching her.

"Rey?" Kylo took her in as she stared back. When had he come in? Whatever he saw in her face probably spooked him because in three quick strides he was already across the room and pulling her into him.

He ran his thumb across her cheek, wiping away the tears that she didn't realize she had. When had she started to cry?

He pulled her chin up and kissed her forehead. "You're scaring me, scavenger. You need to eat." His eyebrows were drawn together as he took in her face.