1st of July, Summer. Konoha Academy. Lunch

"School is extremely boring," You say. A conclusion that you've come up with as you're sharing a stick with the resident lazy-ass behind the equipment shed, Nara Shikamaru. With his hair pulled back and smatterings of holes in his ears that used to house piercings that he's gotten at the beginning of junior high (he doesn't wear them at school. School rules see?).

"Nah," Shikamaru chuckles softly, plucking the cigarette from your lips to place them on his own. His rough fingertips brush against your moist lips and rests on them ever so slightly before he pulls the stick away, taking a deep drag from it before letting his fingers fall to his side, "School is troublesome." He flicks the stick with his thumb and a small cascade of ash falls into the dirt.

It's a menthol, Shikamaru only ever smokes menthols. It's healthier, he says. 'Healthier'. Excuses. The metal walls of the shed feel uncomfortably hot behind your slouched shoulders and curved legs.

"Gonna run for student council this year?" You tilt your head upwards to look up, bringing your lips into an 'o' shape and blowing the smoke in a controlled, continuous breath. You watch it float up only to dissipate into nothing.

There's a burning sensation in your lungs that turns into a cool aftertaste as the smoke leaves your mouth. A good sensation. It reminds you that you're alive. Like the aftertaste of peppermints at the back of your tongue after drinking a cold cider.

You don't usually smoke, but you'll make an exception for him. After all, the two of you share secrets that nobody else knows. That and you need to let loose once in a while. This is definitely an appropriate activity to pass the time from the mindless cramming about subjects that aren't at all important to you. Ha, the irony.

"Nah, I'll let Neji run for it," He says, a bit more casually than usual. He flicks the cigarette again before taking another drag, "He doesn't need more competition."

"That's what you said in your second year of middle school," You part your lips to laugh, "And the year before that."

The back of his neck turns red as a scowl rises up to his face. "Shut it, you." Haha, he has rose-colored ears now.

He puts the stick back to your mouth in an attempt to shut you up. You move your face closer to it, flashing him an appreciative grin. It rests ever so precariously between his fingers, holding it just low enough for it to touch your lips and keeping it still enough for you to take a hit. You take a deep breath, keeping it in your lungs for a couple of seconds before exhaling it slowly, carried away by the hot summer breeze.

The shady part behind the P.E equipment shed provides more than enough cover from prying eyes. It's your refuge. Your safe haven. There's a scattering of soot and ash on the ground, the school's incinerator is behind a chain-link fence to your right. Was it your turn to take care of the trash? Was it Ino's? You'd have to check the schedule again in class later.

"And the year before that." You show him your pearly-white canines.

Shikamaru rolls his eyes, "You're really starting to get on my nerves." You know he doesn't mean that, he's saying it in that annoyed-but-familiar kind of way. "What about you? Japanese is after lunch. Did your homework?"