FOURTEEN- An Unfortunate Enemy

hhhhhhh i feel like this story is moving WAY too slow,, this is already chapter fourteen and we're just now meeting a really important character??

it's funny because back in chapter 8 i said out was going too fast,, now it's too slow

just. what the eff, me

-------

I stared in astonishment at the row of obsidian blocks in front of me, penning us in. I couldn't believe we'd managed to be tricked that easily, but we had.

"No! What the hell!" Julia yelled. She pounded a fist against the pitch-black blocks, though she had to have known it wouldn't do any good. Nothing could break through obsidian but a diamond pickaxe, and though none of us were exactly low on supplies, that was one thing we didn't have.

I glanced between the obsidian wall, to Julia, to Radar's panicked face, back to the wall again. "I...think you were right, Lukas." I said quietly. "We appear to have just made a massive mistake."

There was a one-block tall gap in the obsidian, slightly above my eye level, that stretched from one end of the wall to the other. It was just enough that I could see the closed iron door we'd come through, but when Lukas tried to reach his hand through, he was stopped by an unseen force.

Barrier blocks. We really were stuck.

The iron door briefly opened, and the taller woman with the long black hair appeared. She still had the bandana over her mouth, but now that I had an idea of who she was, she seemed much more familiar, in that strange way that the other two Primes had been.

She leaned on the obsidian wall, peering into the new prison at us. Her expression was complicated, some strange mix of sympathy and authority. "Please, don't get the wrong idea. This really is for your own safety; my timeline is much more of a mess than any of you could understand."

Before I'd even fully processed what she'd said, she turned away again and went back out through the iron door. As she left, a man with crimson-red hair stood with his back to the door, apparently standing guard.

Julia and I exchanged a nervous look. Radar, on the other hand, was frowning thoughtfully.

"She really is the Prime." he murmured.

"I already said that." Lukas objected. Radar shook his head, then reached up and adjusted his glasses.

"Did you hear what she said? 'My timeline'. Not this timeline, or my world. I doubt she would've worded it like that if she wasn't the Prime."

Julia reached up and tugged on her braid. "Shit. This is bad."

"What does this mean?" I asked. "If Beacontown looks like this, but the Prime is still here..."

Lukas shook his head slowly, staring at the obsidian floor. "I don't know, I have no idea. And then who are said 'rebels'? Why do we not recognize the people who are apparently closest to the Prime? What the hell happened here?"

"...And how do we find any of that out?" Radar added.

I didn't say anything to that, because there was nothing to say. Like I'd realized earlier, if we really were in the hands of villains, we may not be able to figure out the truth. It's not like we could just ask them, 'hey, are you by any chance the villains in this crazy little adventure?'.

"On the other hand, what if this Prime really is on our side? I mean, I'm not saying I think she is, but what if she actually does just want to help us?" Lukas asked. I could tell by his expression that he didn't really believe his own words but was playing devil's advocate anyways.