THIRTY-SIX- Everything to Fear

mmmmmmm angst, yum yum

emjoy :]

-------

Two days later, my goal was almost accomplished. It had been easier to get Axel and Olivia to agree to come to Beacontown that I'd thought it would.

My letters to them hadn't revealed anything of what was going on, just a simple request that they return and a promise that I'd explain everything once they did.

Olivia had arrived earlier in the day, and was now currently gossiping with Petra about everything that had happened over the last few months. I wasn't going to say it aloud, but they were strangely adorable together. Petra seemed wholly oblivious of Olivia's feelings for her, and, had I not already been told, I probably would've been as well. Liv was a much better actress than I'd previously given her credit for, and to be completely honest, it was a little unsettling.

Axel's reply letter had just said that he'd be here late evening, arriving by Nether Portal, so that's where I was- leaning against the obsidian frame and letting my bent leg bounce anxiously. The Redstone lamps that lined the streets were just beginning to turn on, and I expected Axel to show up any minute.

Lukas had been noticeably scarce ever since Petra showed up. He was obviously very uncomfortable with having her around, and I decided that in this case, it'd be better not to push him.

I just hoped they'd find a way to work things out on their own. I had no idea of how to patch things up, and there wasn't much point in the reunion if they didn't.

I idly scanned the streets with slightly glazed eyes, lost in my own thoughts. I had too much on my mind, and not enough energy to really process it all.

The dark images of that strange void space were still haunting me. I couldn't seem to shake them away- they were like cobwebs clinging to my brain, forcing me to relive the awful possibilities.

The most imposing question had still never been answered: Was it real? Were those futures true? Was I honestly destined to die by my own hand, isolated and in pain?

Or was it just a trick? Something to make me think that horrific future was inevitable, to convince me to give up the fight?

I didn't know, and at this point, I wasn't sure if I truly wanted to.

I was so deep in my own head that I didn't even notice Aiden approaching me until he waved a hand in front of my face. I snapped back to reality, blinking disorientedly. "What! Oh. Aiden, hi."

He grinned. "You were so spaced out right there. I swear I called your name like fourteen times, and you didn't even twitch."

I winced slightly, and his smile dropped into a more concerned look. "Hey, whoa. Everything alright?"

"Yeah...mostly. I'm just thinking about...too many things." I muttered.

He nodded. "Fair. Anyways, Lukas wanted me to let you know that he wasn't planning on going over to the Hall until later tonight. He wants to avoid everyone as much as he can."

"Everyone?" I echoed, surprised. "Even Axel and Olivia?"

Aiden shrugged. "Yeah, that's what he said. He seems pretty out of it. I personally have no beef with either of them, but...I'm kinda hoping to avoid Petra too."

I gave him a surprised look. "Why? I mean, I know you two didn't get along in the past, but things can be different now."

He took a step back, shaking his head adamantly. "Uh, forgive me, but I really doubt it. Plus, you don't want me around her either. It'd just increase the awkwardness by a factor of a thousand."