EPILOGUE - To Build a Better Life

endings,, :'}

ngl i cried a bit while editing this loll

------

"So like I was saying, it'd probably be best to go through the Mooshroom biome on our way to that temple, cause even though it's a little out of the way, it's SUPER cool and definitely worth it. And I can't wait to check out that one place in that Mesa for real- it needed multiple people to even open the entrance, so I never even got to step foot inside."

"Really? I'm surprised you didn't just bust your way in."

"Nahh, I have at least a little respect for cool old architecture. Plus, I...was a little afraid of accidentally setting off a booby trap that might blow my head off."

I only hear the tail end of the conversation as Radar and I catch up to Petra and Olivia as they wait near the Beacontown gate, but it's enough. They both sound so happy, so ready to be out in the world again as a team. Exactly how I feel.

"Petra, you'd better not be planning on anything that'll get Jess blown up. He promised to come back here alive." Radar scolds, though the words are empty of malice. Although he's a little concerned about having full responsibility of Beacontown, I know he's just as glad as the rest of us that we're going.

Petra leans gently on her horse, a large black stallion ironically named Jayne. "Don't worry. This'll be just like old times- I swear all the life-risking will be within completely reasonable bounds." she says, waving a hand flippantly.

"Sounds good to me." I say cheerfully, taking Inara's lead from Olivia and checking the straps on the full saddlebags. Just like old times.
I'd stopped believing I'd hear those words again.

The past few weeks have felt like a very surreal dream. Everything has gone completely back to normal, and only improved from there. Once my friends had determined that we were all okay (which took longer than strictly necessary, in my opinion), we started figuring out what to do next. We all knew that we wanted to go back to adventuring together the way we used to, so what was stopping us?

After a transfer of power in Redstonia and a few days of negotiations in Boom Town...nothing at all.

There hasn't been a single glitch in reality since the great battle in the In-Between, and I decided it was probably safe now to tell my friends the truth about the timelines.

There had been mixed reactions: Olivia was fascinated by the concept and needled Lukas, Radar, and I into telling her absolutely everything we found out; Petra had seemed downright terrified of the idea and refused to hear more than the basic summary of what had happened; and Axel, most surprisingly, had been curious but hesitant. He'd said the entire idea seemed dangerous, and that he was glad it was over now.

Because it really did seem to be completely over. My curiosity had gotten the better of me, and several days ago I tried making a gate to the In-Between.

It hadn't worked- I'd stood there tracing my sword around like an idiot for a few moments before accepting that the bridge between timelines had been broken for good. This is for the best, obviously, but it had still given me a small pang of loss.

I wonder what Julia is doing now that reality is fixed. I wonder how she's managing with her Admin powers, and if Stella is still furious at her for disappearing for so long.

I miss her more than I'd care to admit. We grew a lot closer than I'd expected during this adventure, and I know I'll still be missing her for a long time. But somehow, I know that she's okay.