Chapter Six: Ghost of the Past

"The White Mask?!"

"A Mole?"

Many of the operators were now in the recreation center, more or less interrogating Ela and Kade about the events of the last 24 hours. It was evening now, the base was still in high alert, but Six and her attendants had taken control of the situation, giving the operators permission to let loose for the night before they needed to make mission plans the next day.

"The White Mask can reach us here? I really don't like that." Vigil said, his words slightly muffled through his mask.

"Shouldn't we be out blowing up whatever rock those White bastards are hiding under sky high?" Thermite said.

"We will, in time. Six is making arrangements." Kade said, taking a drag of his cigarette.

"When we blow White Mask to bits, I will be in frontline!" Fuze exclaimed, clutching a mostly empty Vodka handle. Tachanka patted his comrade's back before sitting him down into an empty chair, handing him a bottle of water. He then squeezed between Kade and Ela, wrapping his arms around them both.

"Enough of these fears! Our mole is caught, by this loving couple!" he said heartily. A sly grin appeared on Caveira's face.

"Speaking of loving, I heard Ela spent the night at your place, Kade." she said. The room suddenly grew quieter.

"What might you be insinuating, Taina?" Kade asked. He did not look amused.

"Just that you two were up to a little fun last night." she said. She seemed slightly put off by Kade's expression.

"No, we weren't. It was purely for work pertaining to the capture of Ronald Jenkins." he said coldly. Kade stood up. Ela felt rage seething underneath her veins towards Caveira. Sledge suddenly stood up, walking up to Kade. He'd never really approached Kade before, but it was well known that he had shared Thatcher's original opinion of Kade; that he was a spook who was nothing but trouble. He was also notorious for having a crush on Ela ever since she came on Rainbow base.

"Also heard you're a junkie, mate. Not looking too good, in my book." he said. Sledge was incredibly close to Kade, a confrontational air about him. Kade didn't say anything, only taking another drag of his cigarette before blowing the smoke in Slegde's face. Sledge's nostrils flared. He pushed Kade back.

"You tryin' to scrap, mate?" he said menacingly. Ela was now about to burst. She stood up, her cheeks red and a string of curses on the tip of her tongue. Kade laid a hand on her shoulder, shaking his head.

"Doctor Kateb, I thought we had an agreement." Kade said, turned to Doc who was sitting next to Rook. Doc looked mortified while Rook looked unsure if he should be taking action or not.

"We did! I don't know how-" Doc said completely aghast, only to be cut off by Sledge.

"I did some snoopin' of my own, ya freak." he said. Kade turned to him.

"I am not a junkie. Not anymore." Kade said indignantly.

"Maybe. But here ye are, actin' like yer better than the rest of us. I got secret buddies too, from M16, told me all kinds of tidbits on you." Sledge said with a cruel sneer.

"Oh really? What did they tell you?" Kade asked, almost daring him to say the words. All the rage Ela had was starting to dissipate. She hated what Sledge was doing but in a sick way she wanted to know more about Kade.

"Cambodia, 2011." Sledge said. Kade stiffened.

"Ya let your whole squad die on faulty orders. Your "reading" didn't work." Sledge said. Kade's lip twitched.