Chapter Seventeen: Birthday Bash

Note: Just be aware that there is an explicit sexual scene at the end of this chapter! Additionally, click the external link at the bottom of the page if you'd like to hear the song featured in the chapter! Please enjoy :)

1200 Hours

February 5th, 2018

Herefordshire, England

Hereford Base, Kimpling Pond

          Ela was glad that Kade was just as speechless as her, as she couldn't think of a single word to say. She was overwhelmed by emotion and there was no way around it. All the words she'd thought she'd say as soon as she saw him vanished like a ghost, leaving nothing but silence rife with barely contained emotions. Before she knew it, she felt her legs moving beneath her. Kade, injured and covered in snow, stayed where he was, the grin on his handsome face making her heart pound against her chest. She barreled into him, tackling him to the ground, landing in the snow with an audible crunch. Her senses took in everything at once. He smelled of cigarettes, black suede cologne and a hint of sandalwood. His face felt scratchy and rough under her hands, no doubt trying to grow out his facial hair again now that he was no longer undercover. His strong frame, not at all weakened from his injuries or lack of training. Greetings be damned, her lips were upon him in seconds. During the operation she'd almost forgotten what his lips tasted like. Now desire flooded through her as she let herself be overwhelmed by him.

"I'm...still here...in case...you didn't notice." Robert breathed out, making Ela immediately sperate from him out of embarrassment. If it was anyone else, she would've hardly cared, but she didn't want to come off as some crazed sex-demon towards Kade's brother. She got off of him and helped him off the ground, Kade laughing all the while. Robert slowly picked himself up from the snow, his face red from the cold.

"Why don't we all warm up in the spire, hm?" Kade proposed, extending his hand to Ela as they walked up the hill. Ela inspected the cane in her other hand.

"Do you really need this?" she asked in a doubtful tone. Kade shrugged.

"I won't die without it but the gunshot wound on my leg is still rather sore." he suddenly smiled at her.

"Why? Does it remind you that I'm an old and aging man?" he said in an affectionate tone. Ela closed the distance between them and gave him a playful shove with her shoulder.

"Call it a part of your charm, my love. But do not worry, I will push your wheelchair when you are truly old and wrinkly." she reassured him, making Kade laugh.

"Oh how I missed you and that biting tongue of yours, Elzbieta."

"Yup. Still here." Robert said as they walked towards the Spire.

"Shut up, Robert." Ela and Kade said simultaneously. The couple looked at each other with wide smiles. Kade let go of her hand and put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close and giving her a kiss on the cheek. Despite the cold, Ela could only feel the warmth that came from loving someone and being loved in return.

          Kade nearly choked on his own tongue when, as soon as he opened the door to the spire, there were the sounds of popping, cheering and one collective shout of "Happy Birthday" invaded his eardrums. He stared in surprise, He counted nearly twenty of his fellow operators in the room, Anna, Alfons and the kids there too. They'd decorated the place with balloons and signs and streamers, making the spire into a place where only cheer and joy could be shared. He was completely and utterly speechless, to put it lightly.

"I know you hate celebrating your birthday but your girl just couldn't help herself it seems. Roped us all in too." Maverick said, drinking a beer at the bar.