Chapter Fourteen: Ops O'Plenty Part 4

1400 Hours

January 15th, 2018

Herefordshire, England

Hereford Base, The Spire

          The Spire reminded Robert of Kade in almost every facet. The large, spacious room itself was old and rustic, of which the same description could be applied to Kade's room when their family home wasn't a pile of burnt lumber. The place always smelled of dusty books and scented candle wax, which reminded Robert of nostalgic childhood memories where he'd slowly sneak up the creaking attic stairs as a child just to watch Kade reading or writing at his small desk in the corner of his room. Candlelight would make the shadow's dance, filling Robert's imagination with thrill and fright. There were a few exotic art pieces hanging or sitting on assorted furniture, gifts from the college when he had taught there. The academic side of Kade had always astounded and intrigued Robert and it was why he'd always just watch him as a child. There were also two pictures on his crammed desk. The first, a family portrait of Robert, Anna and Mary. Then another, with the whole family, including Kade himself, their Mother, Erik, CJ and Benji. Kade had never been one to wear his heart on his sleeve but Robert knew how Kade felt about him and everyone else. He could never ask for a better brother than Kade, even if he wouldn't tell Robert about the super-secret stuff his job required. Currently Robert was doing as Kade had asked him; keep the Spire warm. Robert sat at the bar, going through all the small lesson plans Kade had worked up for him in the two weeks before he shipped out. Robert had been willing to put Mary's education on hold while they figured things out but Kade wouldn't hear it. He insisted that it was "vital" that children her age get as much schooling as possible in order to take advantage of the plasticity of the youthful mind. And while Robert certainly appreciated the effort Kade had put into the lessons he had found quickly that he'd have to go over them before teaching them to Mary. Kade had always respected the minds of children, claiming that their intelligence was "grossly underestimated" but Robert also knew that when it came to anything related to academia, Kade got what could only be described as overexcited. Robert had no problem kid proofing what Kade had written. It was just a matter of taking the sometimes-difficult concepts and ideas Kade proposed and breaking them down into simpler parts. It was the same material, just digested through a more efficient system. He was thinking of how he could break down Kade's complex explanation of Charlette's Web and how it handled death when a knock on the Spire's heavy door startled him. He took off his reading glasses and went to the door. It was probably Anna with Mary; his sweet little angel did get restless around this time of day. When he opened the door he was surprised to discover Alfons at the door, the German man's face red from the cold but a warm smile of greeting. The two had become fast friends when Alfons had landed down, having a lot in common with both their families and lifestyles.

"Oh! Alfons, please, come in. I'm surprised you're not with Amanda right now. Is she napping?" Robert greeted as Alfons shuffled his way in.

"Oh, no. I dropped her off at Anna, actually. I was going to bring her here with me but your wife insisted. A lifesaver in more ways than one!" he said. They shared a laugh as Robert handed a the fellow father a beer. Alfons eyed the stack of papers on the bar.

"I hope I am not barging, it seems you have much work." Alfons said, his Germanic accent heavy in his words. Robert shook his head,

"Nothing that can't be done later. Not that I don't enjoy the company, but what brings you here?" Robert asked him. Alfons pursed his lips. He was a fit, tall man with a blonde crew cut and a scar on his upper lip. He was the textbook definition of an army man and Robert had a feeling no one else would have suited Zofia. Granted he was retired now, opting to stay home and take care of Amanda which had initially surprised Robert. That was before, of course, he had become familiar with Zofia's in dominatable personality. He imagined the conversation on who would be staying home to take care of Amanda was both brief and one-sided. Not that Alfons seemed to mind. The way he looked at her when she entered the room told anyone all they needed to know about the relationship between the two.