Chapter 2: Confusion

Jade POV

Since I was still little, I often saw my brothers interacting with weird and scary people. I also notice that my brothers often get into a fight.

Every time they come home, their face is bruised and a bit bloody. I never knew what they're doing and I really want to know why. But I held myself back from asking them.

Why?

Well, one time when I ask them about it, they got really defensive and trying to change the subject, which is really suspicious. Then I just dropped it. Sooner or later the truth will come out. I'm just gonna wait until one of them tells me. But for now, I'm just going to get on with my life, out of the spotlight and away from attention.

Anyway, back to the present time.

After a few minutes waiting beside Jack's car, I saw students running out of the school in a panic. I quickly ran to the school building to see crowds of people.

When I got near to the crowded area, I see a scrawny boy around my age being beaten up by a big muscular man. Well, that's not fair at all. Even though I'm a nerd I'm not scared to speak up. Living in a house full of childish boys made me fearless to boys. Yes, sometimes they're very immature and childish.

"Hey, big guy! Pick somebody else with your own size!", I yelled clenching my fist. At that moment, everybody stops moving and averted their eyes onto me. They're also whispering to each other like 'Ooh she's gonna get' or 'Poor girl doesn't know what she's doing'.

"Care to repeat what you said?", answered the big man while slamming the beaten boy to a locker. The sound of the boy's scream made me cringe a little. But I stood my ground.

"Like I said, pick somebody else your own size. Or are you deaf?"

With that, everybody gasp and started scurried away from me. I know I messed up big time and there's no going back now. If I'm going to die right now, at least I'll die in an honorable death. That sounded so weird.

Then the big man's buddies started walking towards me.

"Do you know who you're talking to? He's part of the football team. You do not want to make him angry.", they said with their large body towering over my small figure.

"Then care to tell me why he's beating up that scrawny kid?", I retort. I know my brothers also had bullied other people but that's a story for another time.

"That's not your business nerd! I suggest you do your own business and we'll do ours."

I rolled my eyes clearly not amused by their answer. Suddenly a hand shot up and pulled me back so my back hit the person's chest. With another of his arm snaked it's way up my neck.

My eyes shot up to see my Jace's face with his dangerous glare.

"What the hell is happening here?"

I saw the big guy's hand started to tremble a little. With his other buddies backing away with wide eyes.

I raised an eyebrow wondering why they're acting like this in front of my brother. Well, he may be big and full of muscles, but deep down, I know he's just a marshmallow.

Then after a few seconds of their seemingly endless staring contest with my brother, they ran away with their tail between their leg. Then the crowd also dispersed leaving me alone with Jace.

Well, there goes my normal life. Everyone's gonna know about this incident tomorrow. I know that my brothers all got some reputation in this school. I hate the social aspect of school.

Then Jace spun me around quickly, too fast I may say. My leg suddenly turned into a jelly but before I can hit the floor, my brother caught me in his arm.

"Whoa Jade, are you okay?", he said with worry in his eyes. "Did he do anything to you? Or did he threaten you? I'LL KILL HIM!"

I was shocked to see Jace suddenly shout like that so my eyes started to water a little. When he saw my tears, he started to panic a little.

"Ja-jade? Why are you crying?"

Then Jace's head was smacked with a fist.

"Idiot, you scream so loud. I could practically hear your voice miles away."

I know that voice anywhere.

"JACK!!", I yelled jumping into his arms. With his fast reflex, he caught me then spin me around.

"Jackkkk, stop it!"

"Hehe, sorry babysis.. but you're just so cute", he replied while putting me down so I can stand on my own.

After that, my brothers and I went home. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. At least I can read books in school.

What a nerd, I know.

Shut up.