Chapter 39

A/N

ok so I changed the episode order after this will be a Matt adventure then Gridlock, then the Lazarus Experiment, then it's done and the sequel will start.

Sorry this book has been getting long lately

Everyone settled and the maid, Dolly, announced before leaving, "I got you a room, Sir Doctor. You, Miss Smith and Miss Jones are just across the landing." I smiled warmly at her.

"Poor Lynley. So many strange events," Shakespeare mused, "Not least of all, this land of Freedonia where a woman can be a doctor?"

She replied, "Where a woman can do what she likes."

"And you, Sir Doctor and Miss Celeste," he turned to us, "How can people so young have eyes so old?"

I shrugged. "We do a lot of reading."

"A trite reply. Yeah, that's what I'd do," Shakespeare turned back to Martha. "And you, you look at them like you're surprised they exists. They're as much of a puzzle to you as they are to me."

"I think we should say good night." I left the room with Martha, leaving the Doctor with Shakespeare. We examined the very small room with its very small bed. Martha commented as the Doctor walked in, "It's not exactly five-star, is it?"

"Oh, it'll do. I've seen worse," he dismissed, "No doubt she's seen worse."

"Oi!" I exclaimed.

"I haven't even got a toothbrush." The Doctor lit up, patted his pockets, and pulled out a toothbrush. "Contains Venusian spearmint." He was going to pull out another one for me, but I pulled out my own.

"So, who's going where?" Martha asked again, "I mean, there's only one bed."

"We'll manage," the Doctor persuaded, "C'mon." He flopped onto the bed and leaned up against the headboard.

"So, magic and stuff," she started, "That's a surprise. It's a little bit "Harry Potter"." I smiled at the book.

"Wait till you read Book Seven. Oh, I cried," the Doctor gushed. I rolled my eyes.

"Is it real, though? I mean, witches, black magic and all that, it's real?"

I scoffed, "'Course it isn't!"

"Well, how am I supposed to know?" She defended herself, "I've only just started believing in time travel. Give me a break."

"Looks like witchcraft, but it isn't. Can't be," He noticed Martha and I still standing. "Are you two gonna stand there all night?"

"I'll be sleeping on the floor," I volunteered. Before either of them could argue, I continued, "Nope! Martha just had a tiring day and so did you, Doctor."

Martha was still hesitant. "But don't you two want to sleep together?"

"Sleep together?" I echoed, "Why?" That's a bit weird.

"Well, aren't you two," she struggled for the right word, "Together?"

"Together?" The Doctor answered, "No, not really." Not really? What does that mean? Ok, so I've kissed him before in his past and future, but why am I wondering what he's talking about? It's not like we are dating or together or anything.

Right?

My trance was interrupted when Martha blew out the candle, making the dim room even darker. I sighed and laid down on the wooden floor.

See, I don't actually like sleeping, but I do like the feeling you get before you fall sleep, like the actual falling. That dizzy feeling you get before you start sleeping. The warmth and pillow and closing your eyes.