eyeliner

Louis likes Harry.

It's not a big deal, okay, he just likes Harry and he'd really appreciate it if it wasn't discussed any further or brought up ever again, thank you.

Louis has never dated anyone before, and the last time he had a crush on someone was years and years ago, so he decides to shove the entire sexuality thing into an unkempt crevice of his mind. He'll address that issue someday, he thinks, but right now he knows he wants to kiss Harry on the mouth and he thinks that's just the way it is, really.

Harry has been his friend for about two months now, he thinks, and he isn't really sure when he started to like him.

It's not always been this way, Louis knows, because Harry is extremely extroverted, so he's got this habit of having his hands everywhere letting his voice ring loud and clear, echoing through Louis's head on an endless loop.

So, it's a bit unexpected when he gets a zing of excitement when Harry shows up at his house one day, and Louis swears he didn't always get butterflies when Harry would casually grab his hand or mess with his fringe. Louis didn't always feel nervous when Harry looked at him. He didn't always blush from his cheeks all the way down to his toes when Harry gave him a compliment, brushed against him, curled up next to him on the sofa, shared food with him at lunch - it just sort of happened.

He's not sure if he's happy or angry with himself for feeling this way, because Harry is quite literally his only friend. Messing up their budding relationship with a crush is the last thing he wants to do. At times, he feels as if the feeling is mutual. Sometimes Harry kisses his nose or his cheek or brings him sweets from the bakery and he just swoons so hard that he's afraid he might actually fall over, and sometimes he wonders if Harry does that to everyone. Sometimes Harry brings his mum little gifts and kisses her cheek, and Harry is certainly not in love with his mum, so.

But, on a cold Tuesday night with Harry's head on his lap, cup of tea in his hand - made by Harry, of course - Louis looks down and Harry's already looking at him and he just.

He knows.

He knows that he likes him, and he knows this is a problem, but he can't stop it, he doesn't want to stop it. He doesn't want Harry to stop being all over all the time everywhere, because Harry is great. He's loud and giggly and not afraid to speak his mind, which Louis secretly envies, but he's also got a quiet and a more reserved side. Louis gets to see it sometimes, if he's lucky, especially at night. He never confronts Harry about it, because he'd rather not embarrass him and scare him into silence, but when Harry curls into his side and presses his nose to his neck, or when Harry hides his face in his hands, or when Harry admits something personal after it's too dark to see and they're tucked under layers of blankets on Louis's bed, Louis wants to hold him. He wants to protect him, keep him safe, kiss his forehead - he wants. He wants, he wants, he wants, but he will never say a word.

Despite how much he wants, he wants to keep their friendship intact more.

____________

Harry is supposed to be the focused one, but he's being way too much of a distraction and Louis considers filing a complaint.

It's not that Harry is purposely preventing Louis from finishing his homework, but he's making it extremely hard not to stare at him, so Louis holds him equally responsible. He's wearing a fucking scarf in his hair, what the fuck, and he's got mascara on. Well, Louis thinks so, at least. He doesn't really know anything about makeup, but he does know that Harry's lips are not that pink naturally and he wants to cry a little, honestly, especially when Harry decided to wear one of Louis's jumpers because he got cold, Louis, it's bloody freezing in here. The jumper is a little too short on Harry, and the sleeves don't quite reach his wrists, but he's probably making it smell very Harry-ish and Louis is so, so smitten that he could scream.