perfect.

__________

Open this when you're worried.

Dear Harry,

You're a worry wart. And I wish you weren't sometimes, because you're really great and sometimes you worry about things that you really shouldn't care about. I'm sorry I'm not with you right now, but I can tell you that, regardless of the circumstances, I'm right by your side. And it's going to be okay, yeah? Don't stress yourself too much, love. Think of everything as an opportunity to learn something, that's what my Mum always says. But, I know how you are. If you're getting bad marks, stop reading this letter immediately. I've told you a million times that your grades are far better than mine and you have to stop obsessing over them so much. But worry is a pointless emotion because it's not going to change anything. Think of all the positive sides as well.  That's what else she says. Go make yourself a nice cuppa and lay down for a bit, relax, let yourself try to think rationally. Call me at my house if it's not super late. I'll pick up and we can talk through it. If it's a weird time or for some reason you can't or don't want to call me, try your mum. She's absolutely lovely and I think she's probably better at this than I am, anyway. Don't really know what to do except tell you that it's going to be okay. And you're going to be okay. You'll always be in my heart no matter what.

Yours Sincerely,

Louis

___________

It's a few days later and Louis needs to tell Harry.

The new year is almost upon them - really, it's in a few hours - and he wants to tell him at midnight like a proper sap, he decides, so he invites himself over to Harry's house to watch the New Year's special on Harry's television. Louis's mother is home for the holidays, and after spending a lovely Christmas with her and the girls, she had announced her engagement. Louis has no idea when she managed to get engaged without him knowing immediately but the ring on her finger was big enough to make Louis a little jealous himself - and a part of him hopes a new step-father will help bring in some more money.

Harry is still being quiet and a bit reserved, and he's eating all of the grapes for some reason. Which, okay, Louis can deal with, but Harry eats every single one and all that's left then is some strawberries because Harry's mother is a firm believer in healthy snacks.

They're sat in front of the television, Harry in Louis's lap, and he hears him clear his throat.

"I need to tell you something."

Louis glances to the clock apprehensively. Four minutes to go.

"Is it important?"

Harry hesitates. "Yeah."

"I'm sorry, baby, but can you wait until this is over? I want to give you my full attention and... and I have to tell you something too."

Harry sits up in his lap, shifting so that he's looking at Louis's face. His eyebrows perk up in a silent question, but Louis gives him a cheeky grin in response and kisses his nose. Harry huffs, resting his head in its original position on Louis's shoulder, and kisses Louis's collarbone lightly. "Okay. Go on."

"I..." he needs to kill three and a half more minutes. "Um. How about we tell each other at the same time?"

"Why would we do that?" Harry asks, clearly put on edge by this suggestion.

"It'll be fun and then... it'll be cute, H." Louis scolds himself mentally for being so shit at distractions, but he can feel his heart thrumming violently in his chest and he can't think of what Harry would need to tell him except for the very same thing he plans on doing.