Chapter 6: Naming the belly

Mike and I have different tastes when it comes to baby names. We fought all week about both gender names and I was so over it. Sheldon and Tiffany were so excited to just have a baby around. Four months along I always had named my belly. Sheldon was Junior and Tiffany was Tiffany Marie.

Tiffany came up with Rylee and I was so happy with it because it was mutual for each gender. Mike even liked it. We had an ultrasound appointment coming up in a few days and I was so ready.

So here we were loving on my belly named Rylee Lynn. Days had passed and here we go to the appointment. "I'm so excited to find out what we are having Renae," Mike said with a huge ass grin on his face. "I am too but I also want you to think if we should have one more after this. We already have our hands full with diva Tiffany with her crazy out bursts," I say worried. I will admit I'm scared to have Rylee because of how the other two treat each other, but I also feel as though this baby will complete us as a unit.

Mike takes a few moments to himself as we continue our drive to my favorite doctor. Instantly I'm dying of thirst. "Mike can we stop for a sweet tea please? I'm so ready for an ice cold drink."

"Of course honey. Anything to help my babies," Mike sarcastically says. I giggle like a crazy lady in love. That was the best sweet tea I had in a long time! Funny how I can remember that 4 years ago.

As I check in with the receptionist, I checked over my contact information and Mike is making small talk with a "new daddy to be" it was really sweet. But the mommy to be looked super young. Like jail bait young and that kinda grossed me out cause this guy had to be our age. Come to find out he was her father and he was a proud to be grandpa. He was 15 when she was born and she's now 15 carrying a baby.

The door open and the nurse called out, "Renae Smith?" Mike and I got up instantly then followed the nurse after greeting her.

Once in the room we were assigned, the nurse had me go pee on the protein stick in the bathroom. Done.

Then the checkup followed with the nurse and everything was normal. The nurse got the ultrasound machine ready. This nurse wasn't really in a chatty mood and I was ok with it. As she exits she lets us know we are next for the doctor to see.

So here I am getting my belly ready by taking down my pants enough to go under my belly then lift my shirt up and placed my shirt under my breasts. Mike is grinning like a proud daddy while observing my belly. I love that look on his face.

Finally we hear a knock and the doctor comes in smiling like a proud grandpa. He delivered my older two and he's the obgyn for my mom and younger sister so he was pretty much family. First thing he asks, "where are the other kids? And how are they doing? It doesn't feel like it's been 5 years already."

"They are both in school. Tiffany is in preschool and Sheldon is in Kindergarten. Both growing so fast and loving having their daddy around." I say while pulling out my phone to show their first day of school picture, then flashed my wedding ring.

Dr smiled so huge and hugged me to congratulate us. "That is exciting news to go with this baby. Shall we get started? I can't remember do you want to know the gender or be surprised? "

I smile and say, "of course we want to know! I want to be ready with the right gears in place with the right colors."

Dr squeezes the cold jelly on my belly and I really didn't mind it because it was summer time so it felt great. Rylee must have noticed the temperature change because Rylee moved a lot right after. My belly looked like a foot or an elbow was poking through. We all laughed about it.

"Oh my, this baby has grown a lot since we saw you last month. Have any names picked out yet? "

Mike says, "yeah we've been on a battlefield trying to figure out names. So far we agree on Rylee." I smiled like a proud wife and mommy to be.

Doctor chuckles, "well that's a fine name either way. I love it. What do the kids think of the new baby?" This doctor loved his job and I loved having him as a doctor. He's picking out the measurements of baby Rylee.

"Omgosh they are ready and they were the ones to come up with the name. Diva Tiffany at first was jealous," I answered back.

Doctor smiles and says, "Renae I know your favorite color is pink and your baby will look adorable in pink." I do a happy dance with hands.

"Are you saying it's a baby girl?" Mike asks. For real? Is he serious? He sure is and I laughed at him.

Doctor looks at Mike baffled. "Yes of course, you are having a girl."

♡♥later that day ♡♥♡♥

Mike has been so taken back from the ultrasound that he hardly talked. I cannot read his mind so I've been asking here and there. Mike either pretended not to hear me or simply said nothing.

So I went out on my shopping adventure while he stayed home to relax. My pants hardly fit now that I'm 5 months along. I get a text in the middle of trying on pants.

'Renae, I know what my issue is now. I don't like the name Rylee now that we know for sure the baby is a girl.'

I reply, 'you have got to be kidding me! We've been using Rylee for a month now and you're not ok with it now?'

Really though?! I'm so taken back by this that I was fed up with clothes shopping and headed home empty handed. I need to speak with Mike right now!

Once I'm home I greet Mike with a smile and a hug. He rubs my big belly and says, "Alyssa." I try so hard to stay calm.

"I love the name Rylee though. I realize that this is your baby too and I'm super excited to have you here to enjoy this journey with me. I don't know what to do," I say as honest as I can.

"At least consider it. I don't care for the name Rylee," Mike says with a tender tone. I sighed to myself. Thinking super hard. Talking to myself I mentally say we have 4 more months. Ugh!

"I don't want to wait until the last minute. I'm venting. Why don't we just watch Remember Me? Then we can talk names later," I share my game plan.

Mike sets up the movie in our master bedroom. Kids are already in bed since it's a school night. It's easier on both of us if they are in bed while one goes to the store. Bedtime at my house is 8pm. It's now 9.

The main female character's name is Aly which is short for Alyssa. I loved the nickname Aly. It was growing on me. I wasn't going to admit he picked a good name yet. My heart was still set on Rylee.

After the movie, I say, "ok let's do it. I love the nickname Aly so I can live with Alyssa Lynn." Mike hugged me but this wasn't over.