Chapter 9: First Christmas

Blending families is super difficult! Especially, around the holidays.Our first Christmas as a married couple we had to plan to attend to at least four family events.
Luckily my mom was flexible with hers. Having to take an infant and learning how to do it again was hard.

Christmas eve we went to my mom's for lunch and then Uncle Rue's for dinner on Mike's side of the family. Christmas day we opened our Santa presents than breakfast at my mom's. Christmas dinner was at grandma Smith's.

I'm so grateful my parents are still together! Because another family to visit would have taken a huge toll on me.

At Uncle Rue's, my mother in law showed up with a present only for the baby. I was fuming!! She has 2 other grandkids!! I was so upset I just wanted to leave because I felt I couldn't say anything to the mother of my husband. Sheldon and Tiffany looked so sad and they both asked me quietly why Alyssa was the only one with a gift from Gma. I simply replied I don't know. What else am I suppose to say? By this time next year both of them will have a name change and be adopted by Mike. So why the cold shoulder to the kids??

I asked Mike about it on the way home and he only came up with how she may not have money.