Chapter 10

Walking through the dark and somewhat foggy Lost Woods, Link closely followed Zelda so they wouldn't get separated

Walking through the dark and somewhat foggy Lost Woods, Link closely followed Zelda so they wouldn't get separated. "Welcome to Korok Village where no one causes pillage- Damn it! I have that song in my head now!"

Zelda chuckled. "It's pretty catchy I admit that."

With the sword in his hand, Link sliced the branches that were poking out from the sides. The branches gracefully fell down without making a sound.

Staring at the sword in amazement, Link put it away at his side. "This sword can even cut through thick branches like paper. That's so cool."

"Wait until you have to fight against a person with it."

Link gulped. "I... Never even fought a person before. I don't want to accidentally hurt someone."

"That's why our next destination will help you. The Summer and Autumn borderline is divided up by a wall. There's a sparring area around there."

"Oh... Ok then. That will be very helpful." All of a sudden, he heard rustling in the bushes. "What was that?"

Zelda extended her arm out, listening to her surroundings. Hearing a loud battle cry, she saw a giant lizard running towards her. "Lizalfos!"

Link saw another one running straight at him. "These weird lizard things have a name?!"

"Take our your sword! Now!"

On command, Link took out his sword, preparing for the worse. This wasn't his first unprepared fight, but he was still unsure what to do. Swing? Stab? Upperslash?

With the lizalfo drawing closer, Link eyed it cautiously. The sword was shaking in his hand, feeling look it could fall due to his palms turning sweaty.

Unknowing what to do, Link started to swing it vigorously, hoping to make the lizalfo run away. "Get back! Don't make me use this!" The lizalfo wasn't phased. It used all its force to lunge at Link, making him fall to the ground.

Hitting his head, Link felt like he blacked out for a good second. Realizing what was going on, he saw the lizalfo about to stab him with its spear. On instinct, he let out a scream.

Zelda just got done taking out the other lizalfo, assuming that she had snapped its neck. Several throwing knives were buried in its chest, making a puddle of its own blood form underneath.

Hearing Link's scream, Zelda saw that he was in danger. Rushing to his aid, she kicked the lizalfo in the chest, knocking the wind out of it. At the same time, she used that opportunity to steal its spear. Seeing an opening, Zelda swiftly swung the spear, cutting off the lizalfo's head.

The head landed on the ground, blood spilling out of it. The body was slowly walking, getting limp by the second before it fell to the ground.

Sitting up, Link was panting in fear after going through such a horrendous experience. Looking up, he could see the coldness in Zelda's eyes. It was like she wasn't herself at the moment. "Uh... Zelda..?"

His words seemed to make her snap out of it. Zelda turned towards Link, offering her hand. "Are you alright?"

Link took her hand, having her help him up. They both stared at each other for a good minute. Link was shocked to see Zelda's merciless side. It was enough to make him run for the hills. "I don't ever want to piss you off."

Zelda laughed under her breath. "Thanks for the compliment."

Looking down, Link let out a disappointed sigh. "You're able to take down anything with no problem. But me? I almost got myself killed twice already."

"Like I mentioned earlier, there's a sparring area in our next destination. We can practice more there."

"Teach me your ways since you're obviously no amateur."

Zelda nodded in response. "I don't sense anymore enemies nearby. Let us proceed."

"Right." With Zelda taking the lead, Link followed right behind. Their journey was already halfway over, but it felt like Link hasn't gain any fighting experience yet. If he thought about it, the Autumn and Winter seasons would help him gain experience tremendously since they're the seasons with the dangerous monsters. He had to be ready for the harsh part of the journey soon enough.

~~~

Arriving at the Summer and Autumn borderline, Link saw a giant wall covering the other side. The wall looked like it went on forever, having no end. Even so, he could see some Autumn leaves poking out from the other side.

Up ahead, Link saw the entrance of the Autumn season. Stopping from a distance, he looked around to see no one there. "There aren't guards here?"

"There used to be. They must be on hold due to the dark sky."

"Wow... It's that bad that they can't even do their job."

"It's sad, but it's a relief to know that they're safe rather than out here in danger."

"I agree with that."

"Let me show you to the sparring area."

Not walking too far, Link and Zelda had stepped onto a huge manmade cushion mat where the guards in training learned how to fight. Link felt the softness of the cushion underneath his feet. "At least if I fall, I'll have a cushion to land on."

Zelda took out her sword. "Take out your sword so we can begin the first lesson."

Taking out his sword, Link looked lost. "Ok..? Now what?" Zelda grinned without responding, running towards him with the sword that almost slashed him. On instinct, Link encountered it with the sword's blade. His heart felt like it could burst out of his chest. "What was that for?!"

Zelda backed up, closing her eyes with a smile. "This is my first lesson. Expect the unexpected."

Blinking fast, Link looked like he just got it. "Oh... So you weren't trying to kill me."

"I wouldn't do that. If I had to evaluate you, I'll say that your reflexes are good, but you just need a little more practice."

Link gripped the sword tighter. "Fair enough." He felt anxiety trying to overcome him, knowing he had to overcome it. Calming down, Link glared his opponent down. "I'm ready."

~~~

At the end of practice, Link ended up getting a cut on the cheek which Zelda helped treat. During his match, he ended up accidentally stabbing Zelda on the shoulder blade which he apologized for over and over. In response, Zelda just told him to not worry about it.

Link and Zelda passed the entrance through the wall. They have officially stepped foot into the Autumn season. Not even a second in, Link could already tell that danger would come soon enough.

Seeing Link frozen in place, Zelda took him by the hand. "Come on." Now wandering into dangerous territory, it was understandable why he would feel this way.

Link hated that he was already scared of this place. The Lost Woods started looking creepier, feeling like they were in a haunted forest. He had to keep reminding himself of his reason. It was the only thing that was keeping him going.

Looking down, he saw their hands intertwining. Link stared at the back of Zelda's head, being thankful that he had at least her by his side. If he thought about it, he wouldn't have known what to do without her.

Smiling to himself, Link secretly thanked Zelda, promising at the same time that he will grow stronger both physically and emotionally during this half of the journey.